Real Versus Fake Hertz HSK 165 Pictures

I'm new to the forum, but wanted to post some pics of real versus fake.

are the new version of HSK165s.....

The differences are:

The tweeter wires, like the MLK have a knurled look to the windings, the fakes are not.

Also the black sealant used is covering the whole solder joint, where on the fake, it's smaller.

The tweeter mesh is slightly larger, but thinner then the fake.

The silk dome has ridges on the fake, circular pattern.

The woofers:

Butyl surround are "fatter", and the spider is extended up a quarter inch versus the fake being flush.

The woofer travel is a much longer throw on the real.

The real speakers are about 1/4 inch taller, referring to the magnet and basket structure.

No scratchiness when pushing woofer equally down on both sides of the real.

The sticker on the magnet is more white colored on the fake.

Fake connectors are crooked and dull solder on fakes versus shiny.

The crossovers:

The real ones, all caps are not flush with the board, they are up in the air about half an inch.

The printing on the caps is smoother, not dot matrix.

The plastic is smooth, with no molding marks; small divets.

Also the printing is much larger and crooked for the woofer, input and tweeter connections on the fakes.

The coil windings are double the thickness, and the crossovers are heavier then the fakes as a result.

The packaging is a more vivid orange.

The printing on the manual is also a more vivid orange.

Overall, these are pretty good fakes, but the crossover is the dead giveaway. Mine arrived rattling, the tabs had broken off(that hold the pcb in place). On a high end set of components, this wouldn't happen.

The fake serial numbers matched on all components, but these aren't real numbers.

My real sprayed have the numbers removed, per internet sale policy from Hertz.

I will upload pics shortly.

My goal to help someone else from getting burned. (I'm in process of a refund on fakes).

My apologies to the admins, if this is wrongly posted. Please move needed, but this may help someone.

good descriptions but photos are even better.

my local shop had me test the fake MLK against the real MLK and i saw similar differences. The biggest difference is sound - the fakes sound terrible.

good descriptions but photos are even better.
my local shop had me test the fake MLK against the real MLK and i saw similar differences. The biggest difference is sound - the fakes sound terrible.
how bad/good are the fakes when you look at it solely on price to performance

eg

Real HSK 165 cost around $500 and perform like $500 speakers (some may disagree buts lets just say they do)

the fakes can be found for $100.....do they perform as good as other $100 sets......better? worse?

how bad/good are the fakes when you look at it solely on price to performanceeg

Real HSK 165 cost around $500 and perform like $500 speakers (some may disagree buts lets just say they do)

the fakes can be found for $100.....do they perform as good as other $100 sets......better? worse?
the fakes sound terrible. like, terrible as in i wouldn't use them if they were free or if i were paid monthly to use them.

i'd rather have Vifa/Tang Band/Dayton speakers for $100.

Wouldn't this be the most definitive and easiest confirmation they are real: weigh the woofers/tweeters on a scale? Elettromedia gives you the weight specs for their components and coaxials. A "postal scale" would be perfect, especially one that lets you change to different units of mass. Like kilogram in the case of the hertz

Hi friends,

Need help to configure, its real or fakes Hertz HSK 165 ?

its used ones

Many Thanks friends.

1.jpeg

2.jpeg

3.jpeg

4.jpeg

5.jpeg

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

Ironsave

Ironsave
des Plaines Illinois
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from
adrs