Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
1ss8KA5.jpg

Top is sky high CCA 12 gauge

Bottom is audiotechnix 12 gauge OFC

Normally thought CCA would try to oversize sh*t not be smaller then ofc cables.

I guess you get what you pay for with sky high's cheaper end of the stick.

i wonder what the strand count is on those wires? i just saw this and got curious so i decided to get a bit of my 14 gauge ofc and my strand count is 172&180 so i guess its safe to say its in that range.the blue wire was 172, and the black was 180. each bulk is 25 strands and the smaller ones were 22for the blue and 5 for the black
2isd3zk.jpg
2j32koo.jpg

Well you're comparing OFC to CCA /shrug. Not to mention they are stripped and twisted. Try a flush cutting both and showing em would be a good idea too.
Thing is, most decent CCA wire always oversizes to make up for lack of conductivity, in the audiotechnix vs sky high picture above the OFC looks oversized compared to the CCA which is all kinds of wrong lol.

Here's a comparison between a real 12 gauge CCA vs sky high

Black and red is shok industries and blue and white is sky high.

5VnzzCM.jpg

CKOM0ss.jpg

The difference between the two is a lot more apparent in person then in the picture and sky high is very brittle, strands break and falls apart so easy. I'm sure their ofc and 1/0 lines are a different story but their 12 gauge is just very underwhelming with all this good praise I hear about them.

i wonder what the strand count is on those wires? i just saw this and got curious so i decided to get a bit of my 14 gauge ofc and my strand count is 172&180 so i guess its safe to say its in that range.the blue wire was 172, and the black was 180. each bulk is 25 strands and the smaller ones were 22for the blue and 5 for the black
On ebay store it says 295 strands. Doesn't matter to me though, probably less but i dont have the free time to count that sh*t lol. I care more about overall thickness of the inside metal rather then strands because they can use extremely thin strands, have a high strand count and still be smaller then most wires. For example: I know rockford wires have very low strand count but they are extremely beefy.

I was more than happy with my Sky High. My installer bout **** himself saying it was like wrestling a python and told me people came in with other brands of OFC and CCA and it was utter crap /shrug. If you want to nuthug audiotechnix that's your prerogative.

My concern is this: use some quality OFC/CCA/whatever that has an honest strand count and watch what happens when you try to strip off some insulation. Any Knu, Stinger HPM, Shok, or XS I've played around with kept its shape. Sky High? It flowers out, which is indicative of a lot of air gap under the insulation.

Honestly, oversized is overrated. Give me an honest strand count, AWG size, and current rating and I'll be a happy man.

I was more than happy with my Sky High. My installer bout **** himself saying it was like wrestling a python and told me people came in with other brands of OFC and CCA and it was utter crap /shrug. If you want to nuthug audiotechnix that's your prerogative.
Have you even read any of my other posts man? QUOTE "I'm sure their ofc and 1/0 lines are a different story but their 12 gauge is just very underwhelming with all this good praise I hear about them."

Not hugging on any particular brand, I'm pointing out clear differences in the 12 gauge wire size. I use many different reputable brands of wires and clearly out of all of them sky high 12 gauge CCA was the most underwhelming one. Before your sky high nut hugging ego gets the better of you, actually read in context and look at the evidence first.

The fact of the matter is this: quality wire costs money and, oftentimes, costs more than what most of us cheap-asses are willing to pay. Why pay $300/roll for Shok OFC when I can get the same from AT/SHCA for half the price? We hosted a thread over on MAF that gave some serious perspective on wire manufacture and some of the "tricks of the trade" wire companies use to make their product appear more impressive than it it. Plus, a lot of it is just pure hype machine.

That being said, run whatever you want to run. I have no room in my life to be a brand loyalist. Just keep in mind that to count down competing product without a basic knowledge of what makes it better/worse than something else spreads like a cancer throughout the community.

Your "installer" hasn't seen much then.

He also compared to Shok Industries and RF wire. He's not nuthugging AT. If you want to nuthug SHCA that's your prerogative.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.