Audio Fading in and out

Participant count
  • Participants list

rollenhard
10+ year member

CA
64 Chevy Truck built engine no a/c or heater HEI Distributor

Need some help my pioneer MVH-X360BT Fades in and out only when the car is running.

when the car is off it works perfect

Its just a basic setup head unit and 2 front speakers

What i have tried

Direct hook up from +battery to radio

Direct hook up from -battery to radio still does the same thing Sound Fade In Fade Out

voltmeter Readings

yellow Constant hot

Engine off 12.33

Engine idle on 12.24

Red Ignition

Engine off 12.27

Engine idle on 12.18

Rev Engine Up Reading 13.9

What could be the problem?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
What source are you listening to when it fades? (Radio, CD, Aux?)

Do other sources fade?

When you say "fades in and out" does the sound cut in and out completely and suddenly, or the volume "floats around" softer~louder~softer ?

Does it do this constantly or just every once in a while?

It cut in and out completely. Radio and thumb drive No cd player

And its constantly when engine is running

Thanks

My jaguar I had a 355 in did the same thing. Stopped when I re did all of the engine and chassis grounds. Unfortunately I can't say what ground did it. Try grounding directly to the battery and see if it stops.

Assuming the radio is connected directly to speakers (not an amp) check each speaker for shorts. You can disconnect them one at a time and see if it stops cutting out. If either speaker wire shorts to ground the radio will mute everything.

Even When the engine is Off Jepalan ?

The radio works great no problems for hours when engine is off as soon as i start it it starts cutting in and out

Even When the engine is Off Jepalan ?The radio works great no problems for hours when engine is off as soon as i start it it starts cutting in and out
It all starting to sound like you have an engine ground issue.

Problem only starts when engine electrical starts up and not the accessory electrical.

Even When the engine is Off Jepalan ?The radio works great no problems for hours when engine is off as soon as i start it it starts cutting in and out
Yeh, it was a long shot - I was thinking maybe car vibration was causing a stray strand to short out or something.

Have you checked the red switched +12 (ACCY) wire going to the radio?

If power and ground are good, then speakers is where I would look next.

For clarification - are you running any external amps or HU direct to speakers?

When sound cuts out is the radio 'sane' otherwise? (i.e. switches, controls, menus all still work?) Or does the radio go dark/dead?

Not running a amp just head unit and 2 front speakers thats it. I double checked all my grounds and speaker wires today and it still does it. When sound cuts in and out

all the switches, controls, menus display all still work

Could it be the HEI distributor causing the problem?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.