Seqioua- SUNDOWN budget wall [tons of pictures]

4bannger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FLA
Okay well I had this thread on another forum and had always intended to bring it here to but forgot. So I'm gonna picture dump all the pictures I have now and update as I go.

04 Toyota Seqioua Budget Wall 4 SUNDOWN E15's

Since Ive joined this forum ive been fasinated with all the great build logs on here. You might see alot of things in my build that look some what similar as this is my first big build so im just trying what i have seen done. This will be a budget build, It will be a long going build as i will buy everything piece by piece. Im always working on something car audio related so there will be tons of pictures.

Current Equipment:

Head Unit- Pioneer touch screen navi

Components- kicker

Wire- 1/0 Knukonceptz with BIG 3

Sub amp- Soundstream Ta1.3000d

Components amp- NONE

Subs- (x2) Alpine Type R 15's

Planned Equipment:

Head Unit- Pioneer AppRadio 3

Components- Soundstream

Wire- x2 runs 2/0 welding cable

Sub amp- Soundstream Ta1.3000d

Components Amp- Soundstream Ta4.720

Subs- (x4) Sundown E Series 15's

Heres The Car

The Enclosure

Went back and forth between designs for this box. Its going to be a "C" pillar wall. I finally decided on a design. here it is.

Ok well we and my friends have been working like crazy on the box. I wanna try to atleast have the box built and in the car before my subs get here.

Got all the wood best thing about my job is i get free mdf because they use it to protect the sheets of other wood in the palet.

Getting all the pieces cut. thank god that i have a table saw

Glue glue glue. For the longest time a use to just squirt glue on and hope the pressure would spread it evenly. Seen someone on here spreading it around evenly and thought it was a great idea. Although this was you end up using a ton of glue thats okay becuase you cant ever be too strong. You may notice there is a brown coating on one side of all the mdf thats just the way we get it at woork for some reason. We scuffed if up so the glue would adhear better.

After using like 2 bottle on just the front baffle i decided that i needed some more

Getting the rest of the pieces glued on. i had to be careful so the seems all lined up right in the end.

okay well heres what i came of with and figures if would be the strongest bond on the corners and give more surface area of the glue to bond.

mocking it up to make sure everything fits. holy hell this thing is going to be heavy

more glue glue glue glue. every seam covered in glue.

and then this happened.

its coming together

got all the sides glued and screwed together. and the front baffle screw on thing this is huge

heres a better picture of the way the seams fit togther. very strong.

And as you all know a box can never be built too strong. I dont wanna have to go in a redo anthing on this box so im gonna build it as strong as i possibly can. i had some angle iron sitting around in the garadge

found some big flat washers at home depot i figured would be great and use 1 1/4" screws to fasten in. I also used some locktite behind in just incase. Over buliding is the key.

random picture

---------- Post added at 08:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:31 PM ----------

one more little thing a side bet between me and my buddy after thinking about just how heavy this box will be. he doesnt think that it will lower the back at all, im thinking with the weight of this thing so far it will for sure lower the back. what kind of drop have some of you had from big builds?

okay well didnt get anything done on the box today so i guess ill share some other things i have done to the truck. did the big three.

NOTE: its a little messy and i could have done a better job with the wire managment but it was the first time that i have ever done it and i didnt realize that planning ahead would be so important to keep the wiring clean and neat. Going to be redoing the whol thing with 2/0 wleding cable

Okay so work has me busy as hell so I won't be getting a ton done during the week so weekends it will try to get the most done I can. Worked on more of the bracing and took and trip to the Home Depot. Decided to stop being cheap and go with threaded rod over dowels. Added the angle iron to every inside corner in the box that I could. Debating weather I should add it to the inside corners as well.

another update if anyone cares. Hopefully i will have 3 of the 4 subs at my door tomorrow and the other one should come in the next week. sanded the box and filled the screw holes. main reason im filling the screw holes is just in case any of them get loose.

mixing up some filler. 2 parts glue to 1 art saw dust. works great if your like me and dont wanna go buy any filler.

added more screws to the back of the box. After reading someones post here about when making a wall "if you have to ask yourself if its strong enough make it stronger" im going to live by these words with this box.I would have to guess there are over 400 screws in the box so far. atleast. and just like to say if you are not using a makita drill you should really give the brushless combo set a chance. By far the best drills i have ever used. I use them all day at work and they never fail or go dead.

yeah moving this thing around by myself is really not fun at all. not to mention the hellish weather in Florida. but oh well its got to be done.

Also cut off 1 1/2" from the bottom because i wanna make my front baffle a full piece so it caps off all the sides figured it would be better to have this a full piece so when i cut the subs out i have more beef on the bottom for support.

well nothing got done today and i missed the delivery on my subs because i was at work. hopefully ill be home when they get here tomorrow. since i do not have any pictures of the current build i suppose i can show some previous box builds me and my buddy have worked on.

this was my first 4th order. it was a 1:1 ratio because i was misinformed on how 4th orders should be designed. will say i still liked the sound and output of it though.

the whole box was made of of 1" mdf.

really liked how it sounded but was getting some major panel flex. so i took it out and decided to brace it up. using dowels and glassed the whole inside of the box

then tried my hand at carpeting the box. would have been best to practice on a small box

okay so i got the subs yesterday when i got home from work they were waiting for me. I have to say the pictures on the internet that i have found do no justice to these things. For "Budget" woofers they seem to be pretty well made. im defiantly a sundown fan after seem just there budget woofer.

got 3 of the 4 subs the last 4th one was back ordered they said about a week.

And i have to move this huge thing on my own by sliding in on some scrap boards

okay so i got motivated and got some work done today. got the triple baffle* glued and screwed together. and one of the speaker holes cut the box is finally starting to look like something. I really hope to get a lot done this week.

Just enough room to add the leds around the subs.

the dust from cutting just one hole.

**** i got bumped down to page three, should update more.

got off early again and was able to get the baffle done. Im thinnking im gonna brace it in the back with some 2x4's because the sub hole cut outs are so close.

Sorry for the long wait on the update guys. I'm very busy at work and we are down a guy so I'm putting in a lot of overtime. I finally for the 4th sub. So I'm gonna try my best to get it in and playing next week. Here what I did Friday night

I started on the threaded rod. Used a Forsner bit to so the bolt and washer were flush. And then used a double bolt so that it would be harder for it to come loose and really cranked away untill I felt there was no way it could come loose. The thread rods that over lap are weaved through so it they hold even tighter and then I went one extra step and using saftey wire to keep them from rubbing or slapping together.

I might go pick up some fiberglass cloth and wrap it where they intersect and resin in for an even tighter bond.

And finally before I was done I filled all the screw holes as I've seen people having issues with screws coming loose from the intents vibration hopefully then will just be another extra strength thing so I can stop that from happening.

In thinking about wrapping the face in black vynal so I can show off the nice rounded edges in the baffle. That's mainly why I filled the holes on the face.

So, is this thing playing music yet?
No I wish man. It's taking forever I work over 60 hours a week for the most part so my time is very limited. And working mostly by myself is time consuming

Looks like a LOT of work. Sanding all the screw holes filled with glue/sawdust has to **** balls. Next time get a cheapo can of lightweight bodyfiller. SOOOO much easier to sand.

Also for big panels I use a 6" paint roller to spread the glue, much faster.

Build looks good and doing them right takes time, but worth it in the end...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.