different woods that can be used in sub enclosures?

tdford5
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
ohio
hello im wanting to build my 4th order blow thru enclosure ,i know mdf is the best but with a box this size the weight will be alot and birch is outrageously priced , is there any other woods out there that are not $50 (birch) a sheet ,and dont weigh 50lbs a sheet (mdf) any input would be helpful brian at starrmountain used something different other then mdf , birch any ideas of the wood he was using

if you want lighter and just as strong it's going to be more expensive. just imagine metals, it's the same trade off. by the way MDF isn't always best, i know as an installer I use it b/c it's cheap and consistent while birch is more expensive and not as consistent as it can have voids.

ok i mean i would prolly go with mdf over birch just for the fact of the price and ive always had good luck with it just thought maybe there was something else as good as mdf and around the same price

ok yeah i figured that well poop i guess with subs and box ill add another 200lbs to the truck

Advantech OSB flooring will work, as will just regular particle board... of course either will require a bit of a time/money investment in some epoxy to paint them with. If you plan to resin everything anyway they may be the way to go, otherwise MDF or ply will do better if you aren't planning to paint with resin.

Arauco plywood is what you want to look for. Lowes should have it, not sure about Menards.[/quotethis is getting hard to come by anymore checked lowes no longer carried ,nothing at home depot and menards

Arauco plywood is what you want to look for. Lowes should have it, not sure about Menards.
My last 3 boxes have been arauco..its awesome if u can find it dont hesitate

---------- Post added at 01:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:29 PM ----------

Arauco plywood is what you want to look for. Lowes should have it, not sure about Menards.[/quotethis is getting hard to come by anymore checked lowes no longer carried ,nothing at home depot and menards
It should be stocking back up their plant in chile burnt down last year and they are getting back at it

OSB would be a terrible choice. MDF weighs 92 ibls per sheet and is your best option economically because its true and straight and heat will not warp it and sandable. Birch is great but is not sand friendly and it does tend to chip and splinter and you have to mask off your cuts when sawing. Ill be building a POW tribute laser etched lexan box next and Ill be using Black Diamond MDF which is a mdf made out of Black fibers its 30% stronger because of the resin used to bind the fibers. It will not have to be painted and a coat of polyurethane brings out the shine and the looks inside the glass sub face will be reflect nicely off the black interior with the red Leds if it gets scratched or gouged just sand it away. The down side is its 76.00 per sheet and with shipping and pallet charge 3 pcs costs me 420.00. Not very much if you consider what is being spent these days on car audio. http://packardforestproducts.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/BLACK-DIAMOND-MDF-20111.pdf

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.