4 12"s or 6 12"s subs

06Murano

This is my first post to the forums, so I hope this is going in the correct area. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/biggrin.gif.d71a5d36fcbab170f2364c9f2e3946cb.gif

This by far is not my first build, but want some second opinions.

I'm sure I will be met with criticism with this, and I want to iterate that I am not considering different subs... So please don't recommend that.

My question is, I have the space and the option to use 4 Kenwood W3013ps subs, or 6 of them and from experience, what would be the gain to use 6 over 4? Assume they will all be in appropriate enclosures and fed with the proper amount of power. Should I pick up a few DBs? or just move more air in a sense? Really, is there any real noticeable gain for using 2 more subs? If it wouldn't make a difference, id rather use the space for other things.

Also, I am looking for more SPL over SQL. I will be listening to music out of it, but mostly want to hit good numbers.

Thanks for your help.

I'm looking to make more of a hair trick type of build.

6db on paper is good reason enough to go with 6.

The subs are rated for 400 rms a piece, and I would be feeding em about 425 for a "whopping" 2700 rms for 6 subs haha

Hair tricks and deeeep bass on 6 cheap subs is the goal.

250 amp alt, 2 kinetik 2400s, all 1/0 gauge wires, 2 old school 6x9 pioneers, 4 infinity kappa 6.5s, 2 alpine 4 channel amps, and the subs im thinking of feeding with a hifonics brutus. All being shoved into a Nissan murano.

Thanks for your quick response.

what are you going for ? spl , hair tricks ??but by adding 2 more, if you feed them the same power you can gain 6db. 3db a sub.

but thats on paper.
Doubling cone area or power gives you a +6 dB increase (theoretically). It's not about 3db per sub. In this case he is adding 50% more cone area, and 0.5 * 6 = 3dB.

6 dB gain is very wrong.

On paper you get a 3db gain every time you double the cone area or power. You also have to factor in more motor force.

If the subs are cheap enough and you have the room do 6 or do 4 in a very efficient box

go with 6 - if you want to hair trick - you need to move as much air as possible. the only weird thing about 6 subs is how they wire up to strange ohm loads at the amp - i am currently building with 6 subs that are dual 2 coils - each sub jumpers its + coil to the other - coil to 4 ohms load - and then all 6 wire together for .66 ohms load at the amp.

The subs are a whopping $70 each from Sonic.

hmm, I wasnt even thinking about ohm load when I was thinking 6 over 4 subs.. theyre single 4 ohm.

I think this means Im just going to have to go with 8! haha who needs back seats anyway?!?

I would do 18s butttt 6 of those subs are only $420, so that would only leave roughly $210 for each 18.. even if i bought 8 of em its still only $560, a bit over $250 per 18.

Not a whole lot of money for beefy 18s.

I would do 18s butttt 6 of those subs are only $420, so that would only leave roughly $210 for each 18.. even if i bought 8 of em its still only $560, a bit over $250 per 18.
Not a whole lot of money for beefy 18s.

Obsidian has $195 18's with 20mm xmax

Two Obsidian 18s will walk all over 6 of those kenwoods. If you can squeeze 10-12 cubes net after all displacement that is. Much, MUCH better idea in my opinion then the cheapo 12s.

Three of their 15s would be even better. More motor force and power handling. Two 18s - $390, Three 15s - $495. I'd go for the three 15s wired to 1.3 ohms. Of course it depends on the amp.

Okay, so 2 Obsidian 18s. Website says they take 600 rms, i am unfamiliar with the product, so are they the kind of subs that want 1k rms to be happy? or just feed em 600 or so?

2 18"s in 12 cubes tuned to 28-30hz, sounds good to me lol

Okay, so 2 Obsidian 18s. Website says they take 600 rms, i am unfamiliar with the product, so are they the kind of subs that want 1k rms to be happy? or just feed em 600 or so?
2 18"s in 12 cubes tuned to 28-30hz, sounds good to me lol
Either way, the can take more than rated, but 1200 watts for a pair is fine. If it were me, yeah I'd get a 2k amp for headroom, but they aren't ineffecient or anything, just give them a good sized box and you'll be happy, even on moderate power.

I know we are on OB topic but its pretty much a cookie cutter off self like my scars. Yes., for the price there very nice. Had my Treo of skar vvx's (pretty much same sub with slight weeks. My Treo took well well over rated for 2+years till stolen. 1k a pop ain't no deal just know what ur doing. Being a retard contributes to 99.9% of failures.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.