annoying whine through speakers...

Participant count
  • Participant list

krisfnbz
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Veteran
Frederick MD
I normally have not had many issues over the years with alternator whine, or static through the speakers. Its kind of annoying. I can only hear it when there is no audio playing and the radio is on. this is what I have done.

I grounded the 80PRS headunits RCA's, ran a new ground wire for the radio straight to the battery, and sanded down the ground location for the amps in my 02 civic with the rear strut bolt being my ground.

Anything I missed? Any pointers? Its not too big of a deal considering I can always just turn the radio off when nothing is playing, and I cant hear it once it goes past volume 10-20~ anyways.

good question, never even thought to do that. Im pretty sure I have a rca to 3.5mm jack laying around somewhere. I will try that and come back with results. im assuming if I still hear the sound it has to be the amps ground, and if I dont it has something to do with the headunit.

Ok, so I figured out the 80prs cars issue, it was minor. That problem is solved.

However, my gf's car has a very big annoying whine and im stuck. My car was very very minor, her car is obnoxious. This is what I have done to the car. Upgraded the battery ground with 2 gauge wire, sanded down contact point. Ran a new ground wire directly from the battery to the radio, also grounded the RCA's of the back of the radio with that same ground wire. Ground spot for the amplifier in the trunk is the rear strut bolt which is also sanded down. Her headunit is the DEH-X6500bt. Im pretty sure that when I wired the car 4 years ago that I wired power and RCA on opposite sides, but im not too sure. I also put int a ground loop isolator just to see... and that absolutely nothing.

The only thing I can think of is to put a different non-pioneer radio in and see what happens.

The classic alt whine is due to different ground potentials between the HU and amp. Connecting them together through RCA cables lets ground currents flow through the RCA shield. If you have used a ground loop isolator between the HU and amp then you've removed the "loop" and the whine should have stopped. Something else is wrong. Try yanking the RCA's out of the amp and see if the whine is still there. If so, the problem is with the amp ground.

If not, you would need to isolate ALL the RCA's, not just the front channels. I have an old install that whines only when all 4 channels are plugged into the amp (front and sub).

And as a last resort - this will sound sacrilegious to some folks, but - using high level signals off the HU speaker outputs instead of RCA's usually fixes any alt whine. I'm feeding my front stage from speaker levels to an Audiocontrol EQL that has true differential high level inputs. This scheme is essentially a low impedance balanced line.

how did u fix yours?

and for your gf's car it sounds like u used the same grond wire for the radio as the rca ground? if so try making it two separate ones

good question, never even thought to do that. Im pretty sure I have a rca to 3.5mm jack laying around somewhere. I will try that and come back with results. im assuming if I still hear the sound it has to be the amps ground, and if I dont it has something to do with the headunit.
Sent u pm

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.