Setting Gains - Do I Account for Impedance of Stainless Bolts/Terminals?

anger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Quick question...

I'm finishing up a new box and this is my first time using stainless bolts/fasteners for terminals. Sub has dual 2 ohm voice coil and I've got one wire per sub terminal (correct terminology?)...so 4 bolts total.

My concern is that when I check the resistance from one end of a wire, through the bolt and to the other end, my dmm is reading 0.5 ohms. So with all 4 connected, am I basically adding 2 ohms to the final load? Seems like a lot to me....

Also, if this is the case, do I account for this added resistance when setting my gain using the square root of watts x ohms for voltage?

Thanks for any insight and I don't know if it's needed info, but just incase it's a 12" Sundown Z4 D2, 8g wire and 5/16" x 1.25" stainless steel bolts with flat washers and nylon lock nuts.

Are you accounting for the resistance of your meter's leads? This method of gain setting is a guess at best since you don't know if the waveform is clipping. I wouldn't factor in the restistance of your bolts. It changes with music playing anyway.

Are you accounting for the resistance of your meter's leads? This method of gain setting is a guess at best since you don't know if the waveform is clipping. I wouldn't factor in the restistance of your bolts. It changes with music playing anyway.
No I didn't account for the resistance of the leads...I just checked them though, and it shows about .3 - .4. So that eases my mind.

Thanks.

I set gain right up to clipping. Easier then trying to figure out what voltage and what load and blah blah blah. And if that is too much power for what I am pushing, I back it down with the volume

I set gain right up to clipping. Easier then trying to figure out what voltage and what load and blah blah blah. And if that is too much power for what I am pushing, I back it down with the volume
Except he would need an oscilloscope to do that properly and I doubt he has one laying around.

you never know.

OP, don't worry about the bolts. Your load is dynamic anyway based on tone and power. Set it to what the amp is rated for your sub load.

i'd ditch the nylon washers though. you want more surface area for metal to metal contact and the nylon may melt over time.
Ya, it's all stainless hardware. Just the nuts have the nylon insert. I figure they're less likely to back out while maintaining a lower profile than jam nuts.

Thanks for the input.

If you had access to a DD1 you wouldn't be posting for this question. The sad part of a DD1 is once you're done setting your gain it would be tucked away in your tool box until you realize there is no need for it anymore because you've set your gain correctly.

If you had access to a DD1 you wouldn't be posting for this question. The sad part of a DD1 is once you're done setting your gain it would be tucked away in your tool box until you realize there is no need for it anymore because you've set your gain correctly.
Lol, I hear ya. I've considered purchasing one and I think I would give it enough use to justify the price, as I'm always changing some part of my setup... At this point, I don't think I'll ever be satisfied. Always wanting more. I'm sure some of you can relate.

I try to avoid shops but there's one near me that say's they'll set gains with an o-scope, though this is the same shop that told me my PWK box was way too big for 1 12 and that I HAVE TO stuff 2 in there for it to sound "right"...idiots. Haven't checked the price for that service.

I've tried by ear before as well and I can easily detect where the HU starts clipping but when I start adjusting the gain, before I get any audible distortion, my truck is rattling so bad that it's just about all I hear...lame.

Anyways, thanks for the input ppl.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.