Sign in to follow this  
blowthemup

speaker clearance

Instead of the usual mounting depth problem I was wondering how much room you should allow for the speaker to move in and out on the front side between the speaker and door panel. Installing some new speakers and its a tight fit, was wondering if a 1/4" is enough?

Depends on the excursion of the speakers. So long as the cone and surround aren't touching anything while playing you're good.

My Minivan Setup:

• Head Unit: Kenwood KDC-BT852HD
  • Speakers: 4 Pioneer TS-D6902R coaxials on 2 SONY Xplod XM-1002HXs (The old school, made in Japan ones), ~100W RMS @ 4Ω to each
  • Subwoofers: 2 Rockford Fosgate P210S8 10"s in a custom 2.75ft³ ported enclosure tuned to 35Hz on a Kenwood KAC-9103D, ~400W RMS @ 4Ω to the pair

I had the same issue when installing RE XXX components in my doors, I needed up using a Dremel tool to remove some of the ring that isolates the speaker from the rest of the door panel, it gave me just enough room for the speakers to throw freely.

electrical: Optima yellow top X 2 big 3 in monster OFC 1/0g high output alt by maniac electrics

HU: JVC AVX-77 touch screen

Front stage: RE XXX 6.5" comps

front stage amp: Rockford T600.2

subs: 1 Sundown ZV4 12"

sub amp: Rockford T2500.1BDCP

Enclosure: ported (by JayDubb757 )

Yeah I removed a good 1/2" to 3/4" plastic ring that protruded from the speaker grille on the inside of the door panel. This gained me some clearance, however my door panel is flush against the speaker after putting it back on. No room for the speaker to move in and out is a no no so I figured I would open up the door (sheet metal) a little and push the speakers in a 1/4" and use less of a spacer. Currently have a 1.25" spacer for the ctx65cs to fit the stock speaker whole so I can probably get away with a 3/4'' ring if I trim the sheet metal to the required opening for my new speaker. Was trying to mount them without cutting the car up but looks like its my only option if I want a decent aftermarket speaker.

Create a free account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this