Sound qubed let me down!! (For the first time)

bumpasauras
10+ year member

Always Hurtin Ears!!
Doing an install for a friend of mine, and due to my adamant recommendation he ordered SQ gear.

Consisted of:

2 sets of the sq components and a heap of their qmat.

He had a kicker zx200.4 (I think that's what model it was) which has a 50 watt X 4 rms power rating at 4 ohm. I knew it was under power for the comps but I figgured it would at least give him somthing to listen to while I built his box and waited for the subs and amp, and the ppi 900.4 to come in..

Now keep in mind Im running almost all sq gear and love it, same with my wife's car and most of my friends and family who are into audio stuff, again due to my recommendation. So after i install them I set the gains on the amp with a dd1 triple checked everything and powered everything up keeping the hu volume lvl just above 0. As soon as the music was audible I knew somthing was wrong. 1 of the woofers only made the dreaded "scratchy" sound of a cooked vc. Also the tweeter on the opposite side was dead. I of course checked everything making sure I had the the woofer on the woofer output of the cross over, as well as well as polarity, and checked the amps crossover.. All correct including the rca's.. So I checked the woofer's ohm load with my Fluke and it was all over the place but was around 18-26 ohms the tweeter was at .1 ohms.. I even switched crossovers with the ones that were working and the same issue was present.

What's odd is BOTH sets of comps had faulty speakers/cross overs. My customer contacted sq and the said ship back the faulty set and they would replace them, when he told them both sets had issues they said make up a a complete set by mixing the 2 sets together and then send them back.....

Stuff happens no biggie but my customer is very unhappy because of having to tear apart all his door panels several times over the course of the install instead of 1 time..

Still like sq stuff but having issues with both sets is cause for concern IMHO.. So if you get a set of the current batch of sq comps I would suggest ohm'ing the speakers before you install them.

Well that *****. At least they got back to you quickly.

That's sound advice, not only for Car Audio, but anything you're installing that requires a lot of dissassembly to get to. Check it before you put everything back together and earlier if there are preliminary tests you can run.

I recently failed to take my own advice while replacing a laptop screen for someone. Took the whole thing apart, put the new one in, put it all back together - DOA.

This is no bueno! I have huge plans on doing the whole Soul in SQ gear :/ I really hope once their 4-channel amps come back in-stock that the situation is resolved with the cross overs.

I almost did not post this as I love their stuff but issues with both sets is a little more than a fluke but as always they are working to resolve the prob..

Keep your head up SQ. Lol

I like it well worth their price I have like 300-400$ worth of it in the avalanche and it keeps the hdc3 18"s on 3600 rms pretty darn quite.
Awesome. Waiting on that to come In and start to put it on. I seen it had good reviews on the site , but I always like to talk with someone who actually owns the products. Thanks buddy.

HDS310 came yesterday, one of the terminals was detached from the frame. I super glued it back, seems to be okay. I am not returning the woofer and it's being installed right as I type this, but I did let them know about it. I actually like all their equipment, but can't recommend the q-1200D for SQ applications. It appears the x-over may not be a true variable x-over. As you turn it, my install guy noticed there is a rapid change rather than gradual. Their 4 channel is awesome though, so are the subs...if they come functional, of course.

Hopefully they address these things before they become a real problem.

HDS310 came yesterday, one of the terminals was detached from the frame. I super glued it back, seems to be okay. I am not returning the woofer and it's being installed right as I type this, but I did let them know about it. I actually like all their equipment, but can't recommend the q-1200D for SQ applications. It appears the x-over may not be a true variable x-over. As you turn it, my install guy noticed there is a rapid change rather than gradual. Their 4 channel is awesome though, so are the subs...if they come functional, of course.
Hopefully they address these things before they become a real problem.
not all potentiometers work the same, one on that amp might be more sensitive and only require a minor movement to make big changes. I'm assuming you're not using the numbers on the amp to set the xover, so not sure why it would matter...

At other points on the dial, the frequency shifts smoothly and at some it doesn't. Using both numbers and my ears to set the x-over point. It would matter either way. Not sure you can really convince anyone their preference is wrong. That amp just didn't do it for me and not just because of the x-over. I've since passed it on to a friend and they're very happy with it.

I haven't listened to them for very long. The one thing that I obviously notice immediately is the amount of output for the money. Really depends on how much money you want to spend. You may want to start a new thread if you're looking for suggestions, with your goals explained and budget noted.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.