CANBUS and installing new HU

Participant count
  • Participant list

ChrisR
10+ year member

I have a 2013 Fiat 500 Abarth (with Beats factory audio) into which I am planning to install a Clarion NZ503 NAV HU and Alpine amps/speakers.

When I talked to the service manager at the local Fiat dealer and told her what I was planning, her response was "fine, but your odometer is going to start blinking after you install the new head unit".

Research shows the Fiats are on a Chysler CANBUS system, pins 3 & 4 of the factory harness connector, data signal, puts the system on a internal computer management bus, if one disappears or changes -- blinking odometer.

That lead me down a path of doing a"PROXI realignment", to reset the CAN BUS, which, for DIY, requires a modified DLM327 OBD interface and something like MULTIECUSCAN, which is apparently available in EMEA only (the OBD interfaces are available on eBay UK).

I haven't yet asked the dealer service manager if they can realign the CAN BUS for me, that may be a better option.

My question is -- since I will be using a "AXXESS XSVI-6515-NAV - NAV Interfaces - 2012-UP FIAT 500 RAP Accessory Retention Harness" which is a "CAN" interface, is all this even necessary? It looks like the AXXESS interface provides the required signal on the CAN BUS connections however, since it is going to change from the factory HU, I am thinking it's still going to throw a CAN code which means -- blinking odometer.

Any info or advice appreciated.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.