Wiring woofers out of phase?

t-scene
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Just a quick question guys.... I maybe a complete *******.

But how much difference would it make if subwoofers were wired out of phase.

Ive got 2 subs with direct leads out of the box and I didnt label them.

I had a 2500w amp on them for awhile and sold it to upgrade. So I stick a little 1500w amp in for a stand in.

It seems so much louder now. Both amps set with a DD-1 and crossovers set with a CC-1

only thing I can figure out is I had the sub wires crossed since this time I popped test the subs to find the phase.

Just a quick question guys.... I maybe a complete *******.But how much difference would it make if subwoofers were wired out of phase.

Ive got 2 subs with direct leads out of the box and I didnt label them.

I had a 2500w amp on them for awhile and sold it to upgrade. So I stick a little 1500w amp in for a stand in.

It seems so much louder now. Both amps set with a DD-1 and crossovers set with a CC-1

only thing I can figure out is I had the sub wires crossed since this time I popped test the subs to find the phase.
That could be the issue, as could your real power going to the subs.

What 2500 were you using, and what are you using now?

Rockford T2500bdcp was the first amp now Ive got a Sundown SAZ1500v3
Well, they're both solid amps. Are you sure you were wired at the right impedance on the 2500?

The only reason I'm troubleshooting here is because two subs fighting each other probably would have thrown you off more than just being quieter than expected.

Direct lead subs don't matter how you hook them up.

The white leads on one sub could go to the black leads on the other sub, and that could be your positive to your amp if you want

Atleast that's what I was told when I got my direct lead subs from CT Sounds and I never had problems

What subs do you have? What impedance?

Rockford was wired at 2 ohm and Sundown is wired at .5 ohm.

I have the direct leads from the subs wired inside the box what I mean is the wire i have coming out of the box is the same color so I didn't know for sure the polarity because I didnt mark it.

Both subs are dual 2s wired down to 1 ohm each inside the box.

Subs are Tantric HD's

Direct lead subs don't matter how you hook them up.
The white leads on one sub could go to the black leads on the other sub, and that could be your positive to your amp if you want

Atleast that's what I was told when I got my direct lead subs from CT Sounds and I never had problems

What subs do you have? What impedance?
That is really wrong. I'm sorry someone told you that. They direct leads are still positive and negative

That is really wrong. I'm sorry someone told you that. They direct leads are still positive and negative
Yeah, they still have positive or negative, but you can choose which you want as positive/negative

IE your positive's could be black, or your positives could be white aslong as you hooked it correctly to the amp

You understand that direct leads just replaces the positive and negative terminal with direct wires. There is still a positive and negative. One way would be in phase, the other would be 180 out.

pop it with a battery and label your wires. 9v battery works best. one lead on + one on - and see which way it goes. In is reversed, out is correct.

never trust the wiring color on direct leads or even terminals. Ive gotten brand new subs from some of the top companies that had mislabeled +/-

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.