Thoughts on SoundQubed HDS312

accuab
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I finally got around to putting my sub and amp back in after sitting for a long time and got in a rush to meet my friend for beers on his birthday and didn't set my amp properly. Long story short, I fried the coils on a kicker cvr 12. Many on here are probably happy to hear a kicker is dead lol. The box I have is a custom built ported - 2.5 cubes @34hz. I'm looking for a replacement sub and think the SoundQubed HDS312 should be a good choice. I've got a apsm-1500 for the amp so I was thinking get the dual 2 to wire at 1 ohm. How do these subs sound? I was happy with the sound of the kicker but I know a lot of people on here say there are much better alternatives and I was thinking the soundqubed would fit the bill. Will the sub work in this current box? The thing that worries me is the port area. My box is around 26 in^2 and port noise comes into play when the sub would have more Xmax that the kicker it was built for.

The HDS3112 D2 does fit the bill. Have bought it, have heard it, have been impressed. It was $139 shipped when I got it, but still a steal at $159. Easily in the class of subs about twice its cost. 2.5 cu ft at 34Hz sounds pretty good, I'm not sure about port noise - someone else would have to comment on that. I can almost guarantee you won't be sorry.

Is that 26 sq in of port area total?
Total

Calculate Box Port Size 40 square inches of port by my calculations.
That's what soundqubed recommends too. When I designed the box for the kicker with winisd combined with other sources, that port size kept the velocity low. I'm not so sure if that box is a good idea or not when looking at this sub since it will be moving quite a bit more air.

I'm weighing options right now. I saw on craigslist where I could pick up 2 of the newer compv kickers with a box for $150. If I went that route, I could put one in my current box while I build a good ported box to put both in later on down the road.

25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png

6H9weUU.jpg

Let me tell you right now with my box I build above, tuned to 32hz there is no port noise what so ever at any frequency LPF at 50 right now until I get my new amp. Trust me if you want bang this is it. You can't hear yourself or the person next to you when it is hitting hard. If powered correctly no reason you can't hair trick in a smaller car.

25cubes32hz3125sqin0zp.png

6H9weUU.jpg

Let me tell you right now with my box I build above, tuned to 32hz there is no port noise what so ever at any frequency LPF at 50 right now until I get my new amp. Trust me if you want bang this is it. You can't hear yourself or the person next to you when it is hitting hard. If powered correctly no reason you can't hair trick in a smaller car.
lol your car is pretty small, the sub is right up there at your face! gotta love them old school 2 doors. Built strong and gets loud! However, its not gonna be the same loudness for ppl running trunk setups though.

lol your car is pretty small, the sub is right up there at your face! gotta love them old school 2 doors. Built strong and gets loud! However, its not gonna be the same loudness for ppl running trunk setups though.
Yeah thats why I said "in a smaller car" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.