A read for new people looking for help-a warning

smtroupe
10+ year member

Just want to start out by saying in the end it was my choice to do what i did with my car audio, and i'm not here to push blame on anyone else. Just wanted to tell some new members who are looking for help to make sure you research what you are buying and why you are buying it. Like you i came on this forum a few months ago looking for help with a sub system. I was advised to purchases (2) SQ hs212 subs and a 2000watt percision power amp. I was advised to have a custom box built at 5^ft with a single chamber tuned to 35 hrtz. After months of trying to get this system to work correct. I drove to a professional shop and they said the main cause for my problems is the box is all kinds of wrong. They said i would have been better buying a prefab individual chamber ported box. This was the first system i have ever purchased new and it is by far the worst sounding one. I spent 135$ on the box to get it custom built.... As i stated in the beginning these choices were mine to make, I just wish i would have made better choices and didn't overthink my system.

Just want to start out by saying in the end it was my choice to do what i did with my car audio, and i'm not here to push blame on anyone else. Just wanted to tell some new members who are looking for help to make sure you research what you are buying and why you are buying it. Like you i came on this forum a few months ago looking for help with a sub system. I was advised to purchases (2) SQ hs212 subs and a 2000watt percision power amp. I was advised to have a custom box built at 5^ft with a single chamber tuned to 35 hrtz. After months of trying to get this system to work correct. I drove to a professional shop and they said the main cause for my problems is the box is all kinds of wrong. They said i would have been better buying a prefab individual chamber ported box. This was the first system i have ever purchased new and it is by far the worst sounding one. I spent 135$ on the box to get it custom built.... As i stated in the beginning these choices were mine to make, I just wish i would have made better choices and didn't overthink my system.
There are sooooo many more factors that come into play other than box design. Who set up your amp and how is currently set? Also can you post specs on box including the port specs?

I paid BOOMSDAY to build it to 35 hrtz like was suggested. I have posted pictures on here multiple times looking for help with that. No matter what it sounds like butthole unless i'm listing to straight low beat rap. anything faster then a note per second it sounds terrible and overlapping.

here is a picture of the amp settings. I don't belive i have changed them since then imgur: the simple image sharer, i'm using a pioneer AVH1500 too just so you know
So, I don't have the time right now to do the math on box calcs. It would be cool if you did.

But for the amp,

Is LPF at minimum or just over half?

Is subsonic at just above minimum or over half?

How did you set your level? Did you use any tools or just turn it there because that's where it sounded ok?

Yea, is 5 cu ft net volume or does that include driver and port displacement? Once boxes get past a certain size, they start to sound sloppier. It is good to have decent volume to gain output efficiency and low end extension, but you reach a point at which you begin to lose musicality. I do see the other side of your post though in that people are also responsible for doing their own research aside from the recommendations. I think a little further research would've made you shy away from a box that size, maybe even go the sealed route. I've also found it very beneficial to simply look at reviews rather than ask for recommendations.

What's your plan now though? Get a new ported box built or perhaps a sealed, maybe even prefab sealed?

Based on this alone, without knowing what your box specs are yet, I'm willing to bet your "professional" shop didn't really know what they were doing and were quick to blame the box:
http://www.caraudio.com/forums/general-discussion/601829-need-some-help-something-doesnt-sound-feel-right.html

Where are pics of your box? Is that 5 cubes net or gross? And how much port area?

Post a pic of your current amp settings.
imgur: the simple image sharer

The indicator on the x-over and gain settings is double sided - can you confirm on here what they're set to? For example, I can't tell what the gain is set to.
both at 3/4 i believe, sorry i'm at work or i would confirm

Ok, when you get home, can you confirm all the other settings, especially the subsonic filter? I'm not sure how or whether phase alignment would cause anything, but perhaps someone else can chime in.

you came here , no one made you come here

how did you come here looking for help a few months ago , the join date on the user name is 2011

that said the join date 3.5 years ago shows interest in car audio by that user with 40 months of history

people graduate college in 4 years

so in nearly 4 years you have not soaked up enough knowledge , that you needed help with a system a few months back

that says quite a bit about your character

it is not rocket science

it is fastening equipment in locations in a car , running wires neatly . safely joining the equipment

you say you where advised , you asked question , got answers based on the members opinions on what you should buy and what you should do

you chose to listen to members you felt most comfortable with

now you come back warning people

come on man , really

the stereo store , a brick and mortar shop , that depends on walk in traffic to pay for , rent / electric / phone / tools / pay roll / vendors for inventory

what else could they tell you other than what they did to get you to give them business

you say boomsday built you a bad box

i am offended by your post

people come here because they do not have coin to pay for a shop

that said , quite crying , make another box

or learn how to adjust your stuff

or pay the store to do it for you

i will give a warning , if people do not know what they are doing they can burn their car to the ground , and if in a garage the house too

forget about it not sounding good

grow up

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.