Cant decide what wire gauge

youtubepro

I am soon going to be installing an RF Punch 300 rms amp to push my RF door speakers. I do plan to put in a single 12" P3 done the road so it seamed like Rockford's dual amp 4 awg wiring kit would be ideal ( It comes with 8 awg for the 300 rms amp). But after reading some more about RF's tendency to put out more than advertised, I'm now unsure if a bigger gauge would be necessary for proper install. I am on a relatively tight budget so I don't feel like dropping a hole lot more money on the wiring if I don't have too. But having already bought relatively expensive speakers I will do what I takes for them to work properly. Thank you in advance for any helpful reply

0 gauge run from from battery to distro block, then 4 gauge wire from distro to amp. You'll never have to touch wiring again unless you plan a mega big install in the future
^^this^^

Future proof yourself. I messed up and got a 4 gauge amp kit, now if I want to run more power I have to re-wire my car with 0 gauge

I am soon going to be installing an RF Punch 300 rms amp to push my RF door speakers. I do plan to put in a single 12" P3 done the road so it seamed like Rockford's dual amp 4 awg wiring kit would be ideal ( It comes with 8 awg for the 300 rms amp). But after reading some more about RF's tendency to put out more than advertised, I'm now unsure if a bigger gauge would be necessary for proper install. I am on a relatively tight budget so I don't feel like dropping a hole lot more money on the wiring if I don't have too. But having already bought relatively expensive speakers I will do what I takes for them to work properly. Thank you in advance for any helpful reply
I'm quite sure RF took into account that their amps may be slightly underrated when they designed their own dual-amp 4 gauge wiring kit, if RF thinks that 4 gauge is enough to run those 2 amplifiers then i would have to agree, wouldn't you ?

[quote name='gstokes']I'm quite sure RF took into account that their amps may be slightly underrated when they designed their own dual-amp 4 gauge wiring kit, if RF thinks that 4 gauge is enough to run those 2 amplifiers then i would have to agree, wouldn't you ?[/QUOTE]

you can never have too big of a flowing current. You can not have too much overkill with electrical systems especially if your bitten by the bass bug. You know how manufacturer specs sometimes never correlate to real world specs.

Op, I'd go with the 0 gauge to distribution block to two 1/2 feet runs 4 gauge to each amp option stated above. If you want to save money and get as good of quality as rockford, i'd recommend going with sky high or knukoncepts oxygen free copper. Piece together the kit yourself or have @mylows10 ; here on the forum do it for you, he puts together great kits easily matching anything rockford puts out at a better price. (0 and 4 gauge is a lot more expensive then 8 gauge especially with the rockford price tag)

you'll need 1 long run of 0 gauge, one fairly short ground run of 0 gauge, 1 0 gauge ring terminal, 2 runs of 1-3 feet 4 gauge and 2 0 gauge to 4 gauge distribution blocks. You'll thank yourself later in the future. Nothing worse then pulling out all your wire zip tied to everywhere having to redo everything again when you have new stuff comming in.

That being said, if your the type that will NEVER I repeat EVER upgrades EVER again, then that fosgate kit is fine.

^^^ That type is pretty rare in these parts lol. car audio is a drug addiction in of itself.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick response guys, I will look into piecing together a kit. Although I would like to think I wouldn't upgrade past that, I'm already considering a pair of p1ts or t1ts to match the bass. That being said I will try to go zero gauge and put less stress on the components. Thanks again

4guage is adequate for that entire setup.

1/0 or 0gauge if you plan more power in the future and want to save future work/money. Remember to fuse your wires. Do the Big 3.

0 gauge run from from battery to distro block, then 4 gauge wire from distro to amp. You'll never have to touch wiring again unless you plan a mega big install in the future
4 gauge is fine and distro block unnecessary

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.