Capacitors, their NOT what some people claim..

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
The next time someone tries to sell you a "stiffening capacitor", ask him/her this 1 question..

What's the internal resistance ?

The ONLY thing a capacitor that is placed between the amplifier and the battery will do is soak up any AC ripple voltage that gets past the bridge rectifier and provide the amplifier with a cleaner DC signal, AC ripple voltage is measured in millivolts and shows up as noise in a DC circuit but modern alternators have very efficient rectifiers so AC ripple is practically non-existent. A capacitor simply can't charge fast enough to provide any other kind of benefit, this includes the fancy and worthless hybrid capacitors sold by many, there is simply too much internal resistance. The amplifier should have enough built-in capacitance to function correctly and if it doesn't then you need a better amplifier, adding a cap will NOT help..

Here is some excellent reading to help you understand the not-so-magical capacitor //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

TeamSwift • View topic - Myths Dispelled: Why Capacitors Don't Work

Last edited by a moderator:
A capacitor simply can't discharge and/or charge fast enough to provide any other kind of benefit[/url]
this is completely wrong. it's the size of the capacitor that is the issue. a 1000 farad capicitor is worth something

Its the small caps that are useless (mostly mainstream ones).

I don't even mess with caps though. Just buy a low internal resistance battery and keep wires as short as possible to reduce resistance. High quality OFC wire is worth investing in.

Here's more proof that a stiffening capacitor is WORTHLESS aka Waste of Money and does not provide an endless source of backup voltage, the capacitor discharges when line voltage falls below threshold but that boost the cap gives the amplifier lasts milliseconds and then the capacitor has to charge again and it's charging through a resistor so it may take seconds for the cap to recharge, the moral of the story is "stiffening capacitors are snake oil" and for the most part are totally worthless and if you think a bunch of tiny 1pF capacitors will discharge and recharge faster than a 1F cap and provide some kind of benefit then you're still wrong, as i said earlier a capacitor will provide milliseconds of line voltage but then it's spent and has to recharge, because of the internal resistance it can't possibly recharge as fast as it discharges so the capacitor wallows in a continuous loop of diminishing returns, if you had 10 quick drum hits that caused line voltage to drop below threshold the capacitor will fill the void OF THE 1st DRUM HIT, the next 8 are on their own and the cap might be recharged in time for number 10.

Here's the really ugly stuff: After the capacitor discharges it has to recharge and recharging the capacitor requires current flow, the current that is recharging the capacitor is needed at the amplifier but now not only is the cap discharged and not able to fill a void in line voltage but some of the available current that the amplifier would love to have at it's disposal is being used by the capacitor so it can recharge and provide another milliseconds of line voltage, classic case of double jeopardy.

I have not only proven that a capacitor cannot provide any kind of benefit but also proved that it can actually do more harm than good.

Installing a stiffening capacitor and thinking it provides some kind of benefit is akin to swallowing a placebo and thinking it will make you live longer, not going to happen, whether it's a thousand 1uF capacitors or 1 big electrolytic it don't matter, it's not going to happen for this one simple reason.

The capacitor cannot recharge as fast or faster than it discharges..

Scroll down to: Capacitor and DC Voltage, Capacitor

~Myth Busted~

Last edited by a moderator:
What was your purpose for making this thread??? To tell us all that caps are useless? Yea, great. Never bought one for my car and never will. There's been lots of threads about this

What was your purpose for making this thread??? To tell us all that caps are useless? Yea, great. Never bought one for my car and never will. There's been lots of threads about this
the same purpose for the other 40 threads he creates daily

okay, did you have something useful that you want to add to the conversation ?

I don't know that anyone has claimed caps to provide "endless voltage" so if that's the claim you're arguing against, then good.

Other than that, capacitors do charge far more quickly than batteries and they can provide current far more quickly than batteries. While it is true that too small a cap won't do you good, it's also true that too short a ladder won't get you to the height you desire. But... that doesn't mean that ladders are completely useless and that they can never provide anyone with enough height to get them where they need to be.

Watch:

[video=eURfjZAVKFY]

[quote name='PSturmer']this is completely wrong. it's the size of the capacitor that is the issue. a 1000 farad capicitor is worth something[/QUOTE]

This.

Still trying to figure out why @whitedragon551 ; disliked this.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

gstokes

FÜKENGRUVEN
gstokes
Beaverton, Oregon
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date
Last reply from