At what Voltage drop does damage occur?

FadedSpy
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
I'm curious as to what voltage level the amplifier starts to become damaged? Is it the second it runs below 14.4? Or is it safe to around 13.5?

I'm asking because my voltage going to my amp is right around 13.7 with no music playing but around 13.4-13.5 when the system is running. I've seen it drop to 12.5 when I'm really gettin down but I was just curious.

it's very much dependent on the amplifiers in question. some will happily run down to low voltage, others drop just a bit and go up in smoke. personally I hate voltage drop period, in my tib with the stetsom 4k2d i was only dropping to 13.9 or so from mid 14's. most people just dont like to spend the money on a solid electrical system.

with what your seeing though you shouldn't have any serious voltage related issues.

the real question is at what voltage is it dangerous to the car. the sensitive computer equipment that controlls all engine managment systems will also suffer at low voltages... but i agree to the above post anything less than 12.0 volts should be concidered extreme danger zone

the real question is at what voltage is it dangerous to the car. the sensitive computer equipment that controlls all engine managment systems will also suffer at low voltages... but i agree to the above post anything less than 12.0 volts should be concidered extreme danger zone

yes thats a very good point.

Say you have your amps gain fairly high low, those 13 volts can send you into clipping. It takes much more electrical to supply 2400 rms at 13 volts vs 14.4 volts. So keep that in mind.

Big Scott...I just went to that site and I don't believe they have a high output alt for an 01 intrepid r/t 3.5 liter. If they do I can't find it

Big Scott...I just went to that site and I don't believe they have a high output alt for an 01 intrepid r/t 3.5 liter. If they do I can't find it
i just looked it up and they are only listing a stock alt for that car.

i say give them a call and ask to see if you can get a high ouput for that type of alt.

does not hurt to ask.

maby that alt is used on another type of car/truck that has a high output version....

this is what i found..

DB Electrical - Regular Output

just to let you know, the alt i got from them is not for my year of truck. as long as it bolts up... or make it fit. not hard to do......

i plan on making another bracket to mount another alt i have sitting. its rated at 100amp clean so ill have 300amps total. when i get around to making it.. lol

That seems beyond the realm of my skills. Of course I surprised myself with the sub box I built for my two ab xfl 12s so maybe I could do it. I would need someone to tell me "It should fit" and I could probably make it happen

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.