Homemade CLD tiles Ghetto Deadening?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
thought just crossed my mind, curious on what you guys think.

My uncle has a few gallons of these he got from his work and he's not using at all.

**3M

Itcan be used as a high strength adhesive+gasket

Can I apply that and some aluminium sheet metal MD Building Products 12 in. x 24 in. Plain Aluminum Sheet in Silver-56064 at The Home Depot and carefully bond it to troubling flat surfaces? Keep in mind this is to only eliminate flex, not really trying to dampen anything. My remaining 80 mill audiotechnix deadener didnt do much to stop the flex on a roof of a sienna. The thought of multiple layers of Second Skin just makes my wallet cringe if I ever go bigger with my setup.

In theory should be thicker and stronger then Damplifier Pro for flex treatment but I want your opinions on this matter. I'm sure many spl competitors have done this before but maybe in a different way, just forgot what they did. (psst: tell me what they did if you know)

Another question I have is. Do car surfaces get over 230 degrees Fahrenheit on a moderate climate?

thought just crossed my mind, curious on what you guys think. My uncle has a few gallons of these he got from his work and he's not using at all.

**3M

Itcan be used as a high strength adhesive+gasket

Can I apply that and some aluminium sheet metal MD Building Products 12 in. x 24 in. Plain Aluminum Sheet in Silver-56064 at The Home Depot and carefully bond it to troubling flat surfaces? Keep in mind this is to only eliminate flex, not really trying to dampen anything. My remaining 80 mill audiotechnix deadener didnt do much to stop the flex on a roof of a sienna. The thought of multiple layers of Second Skin just makes my wallet cringe if I ever go bigger with my setup.

In theory should be thicker and stronger then Damplifier Pro for flex treatment but I want your opinions on this matter. I'm sure many spl competitors have done this before but maybe in a different way, just forgot what they did. (psst: tell me what they did if you know)

Another question I have is. Do car surfaces get over 230 degrees Fahrenheit on a moderate climate?
not quite 230 degrees. Youd be seriously frying if you got in your car and the air temp was that hot. surfaces like the dash can get well up into the high 100s though.

CLD tiles are meant to stop resonating panels, not flex. You need to structurally reinforce the panels if they're flexing that bad.

As far as your ghetto tiles go, if you're hurting for money go right ahead but I think it's a waste of time/materials and you'll end up having to re-do it in the end anyway.

You won't be able to get that adhesive thick enough to adequately separate the aluminum from the body panels and in the end, you'd still have flex and probably some more noise.

You won't be able to get that adhesive thick enough to adequately separate the aluminum from the body panels and in the end, you'd still have flex and probably some more noise.
that was one of my main concerns also, could have been very counterproductive if that happened.

Jeff why not f26 strips of 1/2-3/4" plywood then go over other with knu no noise kolosuss. u don't compete do u?
not as of now, the van is just a passenger van for work but when i do change professions, i will use all the space available for a monster build. I like preping my cars for the far future so i dont have to take stuff out again. i'll probably go with the plywood thing and add pole bracing later if needed. Figured i'd try something different.

whats the best way to attach the wood so it wont vibrate against the roof of the car generating more noise?

i would use f26 its a construction adhesive u cam get at home depot or ace hardware. u can stick a 2x4 to the concrete and the slab or the wood will giveaway before the glue assuming u wanted to remove the 2x4. its a faster grab and dry time than liquid nail.

i would use f26 its a construction adhesive u cam get at home depot or ace hardware. u can stick a 2x4 to the concrete and the slab or the wood will giveaway before the glue assuming u wanted to remove the 2x4. its a faster grab and dry time than liquid nail.
a guy local to me told me of another way stop my roof flex. Basically fiberglassing the whole roof with several layers of chop mats equal to 1/2 layer of ply but its a lot stronger. What are your thoughts?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.