trying to understand.

Participant count
  • Participant list

phantom4421

So im new to car audio systems and I dont know much about them yet but I have 2 pyle 12" subs in a bandpass box. The ratings on them say

Max power: 600 watts each

Rms: 300 watts each.

Impedance: 4 ohms each

Final impedance: 2 ohms

I dont fully understand all of this yet so I wanted to ask, what size amp should I be running and mono block or 2 channel?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Max power is the most they can handle for a split second without blowing. RMS is what you can continuously put to them. 4ohm is the impedance each individual subwoofer runs at. 2 ohms is the impedance the subs run at when wired together. If your final ohm is 2 then you should get an amp that is at least 2 ohm stable. Most are. 2 channel or mono is your preference. Two channel you can run a left and right. If a 2 channel is bridgeable then you can run it as a mono set up. A mono set up is what a lot of people prefer for dedicated woofer amps. As far as power pick an amp that has head room vs your sub's so it is not working full tilt all the time your listening to music. If your sub's are 600 rms at 2 ohm you would want a 800w @ 2ohm amplifier.

So im new to car audio systems and I dont know much about them yet but I have 2 pyle 12" subs in a bandpass box. The ratings on them sayMax power: 600 watts each

I dont fully understand all of this yet so I wanted to ask, what size amp should I be running and mono block or 2 channel?

First of all, Pyle isn't terribly good, and they have a long track record of exaggerating power ratings on products. You'll want to find an amp that makes 300-400W or so into 1 channel at 2 ohms. A 2 channel amp would work, but optimum would be a small class D mono amp.

"Max Power" is some ******** that companies make up to impress the uninformed.

"RMS Power" means Root Means Square which is a mathematical way to find an average distance from 0 of many different data points that are both positive and negative. Sometimes used in statistics, but most commonly when measuring AC voltage or current. This printed on a package means the company believes it's customers will be uninformed and believe what the guy above me posted.

Also, might want to do a wiki search for Ohm's law. It's pretty simple algebra and may well come in handy.

The guy above you knows what the technical definition of RMS is when applied to all things it can be used for. But when it is used for speakers it is a good gauge for new guys like me to have an idea of what power to use. If not for RMS (albeit misleading) people like me that don't know every spec of every speaker would put 2000w to a 500w sub. Poof! Smoke, smoke! The gentlemen wanted an idea of what those numbers meant when applied to car stereo. I told him. It is not my fault a lot of car companies lie.

So im new to car audio systems and I dont know much about them yet but I have 2 pyle 12" subs in a bandpass box. The ratings on them sayMax power: 600 watts each

Hey man! Good to see some more Tulsa people. There's a group in Tulsa that meets in Targets parking lot at 7 pm on Thursday nights. It's the Target on 71st and 169. Good guys and very helpful. No need to feel embarrassed or stupid for asking simple questions. These guys are understanding and were at your level not too long ago. We all had to start somewhere. I don't go because the group as a whole is too young for me but if you're late teens-mid 20's you'll fit right in.

As an aside, hispls gives really solid advice and you should follow his lead. 300-400 watts on those Pyles is plenty and you should probably consider upgrading in the near future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.