2 sets of front door comps, good, bad, other?

How many 6.5" comp sets in front stage?

• Total voters
    Participant count
  • Participant list

Blazin_Jason
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Driving myself crazy trying to come to a decision on what to run for a front stage. Previously I had some older PG Octane R's off a sundown 100.2 in fg door pods. Was actually quite happy with them, but at times they seemed to struggle to keep up with the substage. Was running 2 15" BL's strapped on saz 1500d's. This time around I would like to go with something a bit louder. They will now be ran off a sundown 100.4. I will be building new door pods for the speakers. I was originally thinking of running 2 sets of 6.5's in the doors (which ones was still undetermined, maybe re6.5c, or crescendo CZ's). Placing both mids side by side with the tweeters mounted there as well. Will this really cause phase issues and cancellation that is noticeable to most people? The other option is to just run 1 set of comps, maybe like the PHD FB 6.1 pros', massives, or Mezzo's. Also I would just like to start with a passive setup. Listen to hip hop, rock, country sometimes. So will 2 comps really sounds like ***, or just 1 run decent set?

What is your current substage?

2 sets of comps can work just fine for what you want to do. So can 2 6.5" PA mids and a supertweeter, just depends upon how loud you want/need to be...

Driving myself crazy trying to come to a decision on what to run for a front stage. Previously I had some older PG Octane R's off a sundown 100.2 in fg door pods. Was actually quite happy with them, but at times they seemed to struggle to keep up with the substage. Was running 2 15" BL's strapped on saz 1500d's. This time around I would like to go with something a bit louder. They will now be ran off a sundown 100.4. I will be building new door pods for the speakers. I was originally thinking of running 2 sets of 6.5's in the doors (which ones was still undetermined, maybe re6.5c, or crescendo CZ's). Placing both mids side by side with the tweeters mounted there as well. Will this really cause phase issues and cancellation that is noticeable to most people? The other option is to just run 1 set of comps, maybe like the PHD FB 6.1 pros', massives, or Mezzo's. Also I would just like to start with a passive setup. Listen to hip hop, rock, country sometimes. So will 2 comps really sounds like ***, or just 1 run decent set?
I'm going thru the same struggle, an I have a few threads on the same issue (Pros an Comps/Understanding Active). From wat I gather, it really depends on budget an how you'll use ur equipment. If ur like me, 3kids. Then 2 decent component sets shud be plenty, especially since u want to run passive 1st. PA speakers will get stupid loud but you'l most likely want a DSP to get the most out of them, an proper tuning takes lots of time an patients....

Mind you my comps will be front an rear stage an their for an Expedition full of kids.

What is your current substage?
2 sets of comps can work just fine for what you want to do. So can 2 6.5" PA mids and a supertweeter, just depends upon how loud you want/need to be...
Nothing is installed yet, will be using existing equipment from my other s15 jimmy. More than likely the 2 FI BL 15's on 2 SAZ-1500d's. I know PA can get loud, but I would rather not have to tune too much. I have a premier p600ub that has some crossover I believe, but not a lot. I haven't had a stereo for myself in a few years so I'm itching to get something going again. It will probably do around 146, so it's not that loud.

Cost wise 2 sets vs. 1 will be about the same for what I'm considering. 1 set might end up being slightly cheaper by a little. If I was to go active I could use the 100.4 for mids, and a 100.2 for tweeters. Maybe further down the road, but passive for now. If I go with 2 sets they would both be mounted in the lower door similar to my old ones. Keeping both tweeters together. If I go 1 set I may quickly experiment with the tweeters in the lower door, higher on the door, pillar etc. I've also been thinking that one day I might add another sub, and add a bit more power. So a little head room is really what I'm after.

Old doors, which are now in the g/f's blazer.

PA does not require a ton of tuning or $$$ to get good results.

Wifey's budget build:

4 6.5" PE PA mids = $88

2 AQ supertweeters = $29 shipped

Aura 2ch for tweeters = $60

PPI 2ch for mids = $140

FMOD's for mids = $30

That set up easily keeps up with her 2 15's and is quite loud and fun to listen to. Everyone that's heard it is rather impressed with her $120 front stage....well 2 mids are in the rear gate since it's a mini van...

PA does not require a ton of tuning or $$$ to get good results.
Wifey's budget build:

4 6.5" PE PA mids = $88

2 AQ supertweeters = $29 shipped

Aura 2ch for tweeters = $60

PPI 2ch for mids = $140

FMOD's for mids = $30

That set up easily keeps up with her 2 15's and is quite loud and fun to listen to. Everyone that's heard it is rather impressed with her $120 front stage....well 2 mids are in the rear gate since it's a mini van...
Only reason I said it wud pricey is bcuz I was constantly told I wud need a DSP. But wat ur lady has is Exactly wat I want, with a sub or 2....2. Anyway, I don't need a fancy HU rite? Jus BP the mids on the 4chan an HP the tweets on the 2chan an that should be enough? My other option is a SoundQubed bundle: Q4-120amp, 4tweets, 4mids, an Q-Mat $430ship. My Bad OP

She has a $130 Kenwood with basic EQ which I used to tame down the tweeters a fuzz since they fire right into the glass.

You don't need HP for the tweeters, they have an inline cap for that, amp for them is set to FULL.

She has 2 15's also LOL

For the average listener you do NOT need DSP or a ton of tuning....

Did a show a few weeks ago:

Guy on my team has 2 AQ PA mids/1 supertweeter per door

Guy next to him has 5-6 6.5" comp sets per door

You could hear the PA stuff over his easily from across the parking lot....

Multiple component sets will do fine but you really only need one tweet for two mids so I'm not sure I'd spend that money unless you could buy a second set of midbass drivers sans crossovers and tweets.

Here's a set of pods I did with three sets of Meso components:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202907002668640&set=o.1416441995258759&type=2&theater

He's using all the tweets but I wouldn't have. I use three PA 8s in each door and two pair of the same tweeter because I despise the harshness of bullet tweeters. Here is my setup:

Not impressed by the PWX's, most guys on my team who had them have changed to other mids.

SQ PA mids and supertweeters get plenty loud, sound very clear, and are reasonably priced...

Multiple component sets will do fine but you really only need one tweet for two mids so I'm not sure I'd spend that money unless you could buy a second set of midbass drivers sans crossovers and tweets.
Here's a set of pods I did with three sets of Meso components:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10202907002668640&set=o.1416441995258759&type=2&theater

He's using all the tweets but I wouldn't have. I use three PA 8s in each door and two pair of the same tweeter because I despise the harshness of bullet tweeters. Here is my setup:

Doors look very good....but not the best choice of songs for a distance test

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...