Another Car Stereo Shop bites the dust!!!

bluemarvin3030

Senior VIP Member
Just driving around the Mid-City area of Baton Rouge. I've just moved here less than a year ago and have been checking out the local stereo shops. Stopped by a place on Florida blvd that shall reamin nameless. Lets just say their name starts with a "D" and ends with "avid's"

I've visited several around town inquiring about different things, custom boxes, amps, non-mainstream subs. Have crossed several off my list of future business dealings due to prices, unknowledgeable staff.

I've been looking to upgrade my amp. Needing 1500 rms at 1 ohm, so I stop in. Tell him what I need, so you would think I walk in asking for 1500 rms at 1 ohm that I must know what I'm talking about. This jack-ball shows me a f**king Power Acoustic GT1-2400D. I'm thinking to myself, "Well I'll never do business with this guy." Worst part of all the price was $219 plus tax. This crappy amp can be had for around or less than $150 online.

Just felt like ranting about my experience. I have decided to in the future never deal with car audio shops. I've always done my own installs anyway, and what I don't know I can learn from YouTube and Google.

Gonna have to fix my PayPal so I can buy from here used, or shop online

Last edited by a moderator:
not every shop can match online prices
Not so much the price, just didn't expect a real shop with multiple locations in this area to be selling such junk.

To be fair it wasn't the best neighborhood in town, so he probably sells plenty to his cliental.

Most companies who sell online do not purchase direct from the manufacturer but rather a distributor.

Doing so violates their policy and refusal to authorize manufacturer warranty.

Shops primarily only purchase direct through manufacturer providing manufacturer warranty.

The Storefront has a totally different consumer base than the online community.

There is MUCH business sense here that is not talked about and i am not authorized to go into detail about it as we are not paying member.

In his defense, PA claims it does 1500@1 ohm...he can only work with what he's got. Do I support every shops selection? No. But on the regular you have cheapskates that come in and want "fiteen' hunded watts yo'!" but want to spend $100....You also can't walk into a retail establishment and think they will be selling it for the same price you can get it online for. There's MAP, MSRP, etc. Along with other contractual obligations they undertook when carrying the product.

Don't get me wrong, I can't defend lack of knowledge etc. but a lot of DIY/internet folks don't understand the legal side of having a shop/carrying product inside that shop.

I understand the business aspect of it all. I was mainly venting about a single experience. I expected better products from a supposedly reputable shop. I didn't expect a great price, I did however expect a better product offered up.

I understand the business aspect of it all. I was mainly venting about a single experience. I expected better products from a supposedly reputable shop. I didn't expect a great price, I did however expect a better product offered up.
Same out here in Southern California, I call around an get a lot of "Waa, Na man I never heard of it" even had a few shops ask me wat a Big3 was, WTF rite. I asked for a job Hahaha....

Same out here in Southern California, I call around an get a lot of "Waa, Na man I never heard of it" even had a few shops ask me wat a Big3 was, WTF rite. I asked for a job Hahaha....
^^^ This guy understands me.

And I forgot to mention this guy offered me $50 for my Alpine amp. In an effort to persuade me to buy a power acoustik.

I should open a shop, I know more than half these places. And I don't know sh!+. Lol

This is a touchy subject. I was a member of this forum on a different name around 10 years ago before i started to work in a shop. Before the experience in the shop i was 100% against local shops because of pricing and knowledge. After being in the business for 2 years i see the value in a local shop. Warranty, service, etc. When dealing with the masses of people atleast were i live, what i learn and know depends alot on what the masses want. I cant defend a shop i know nothing of but i can say that i didnt respect or understand how stuff works in a shop before working in one.

that pa might put out 900-1.1k not 175 Watts like some would claim but that price is crap though.
Yeah and I NEED 1500 or more RMS @ 1ohm. He couldn't offer that. That's what frustrated me. He assumed I didn't know enough to not buy a power acoustik for $220 plus.

I can understand his retail markup. But his lack of selection is what amazed me. But like one guy commented, people come in his shop looking for cheap power. He has got to give them what they want. The area of town explains a lot about that.

I know to purchase online, install myself, and buy used.

these shops sell cheap junk to survive unfortunately people who are really into car audio are the minority the majority are those cheap guys who come in and wants 1500 rms for 150 dollars so they sell a guy a amp that says 2000 watts max on the box and the guy thinks he got a deal

Not sure why I keep subjecting myself to this torture, but got off early today and stopped in another shop. Told him what I was looking for. Now in the bright side he had a nice selection of hifonics amps to choose from with the usual/expected retail markup, for what it's worth. He asked what my setup was and I told him. He says "be careful, you don't want to blow that sub." I asked why, he says "12's can only take about 400-600 watts rms." I just left at that point. I'm done...

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.