Fi BL18 Ported Box Design Help

Participant count
  • Participant list
Vehicle : 2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo LT

Location in the vehicle: Trunk

Space available (Length x Width x Height): 30 x 36.5 x 16(Might have to be lower to fit)

Subwoofer make and model: Fi BL18

Subwoofer Size: 18"

Number of Subwoofers: 1

Type of Port (Kerfed, Slot, Aero, etc.): Slot, on the driver side(left)

What type of music do you like?: Dubstep and rap mainly. Little bit of everything else

Is your goal SPL or Everyday Music?: Everyday, with enough SPL to impress

Tuning Freq (Hz): 34

Volume : 5-8 Recommended on Fi's site

Questions: 5-8 cubic feet is recommended. How important is this? I can for sure be in this range, but how much will sound change and what will the difference be if I make the box a little bit bigger or smaller? To make it fit I was considering dropping to 15 inches or maybe 14 inches tall so I would have no clearance issues. I have used Torres to get tuning where I want.

I have designed the box in SketchUp, and my uncle will be building it off of those specs.

For example, at 16" tall and tuned to 33.84 Hz I am at 6.67 cubes. If I drop to 14", the tuning raises to 34.25 Hz with a cubic footage of 5.71. That is quite a difference, but how much of a difference in sound will this make?

Is it worth the peace of mind(and wallet) to play it safe and go smaller, or would the risk be worth the reward?

Good ?. I just made my box for the re sx 18 9.2 now im stuck on the amount of power i can push my sub. Only reason i went so big was i kept hearing if i do i wounldnt need as much power.

I'm in a very similar situation I have a 2007 impala ss and a DC 18xl . I have tried several boxes all firing up . I'm looking for help myself . I have exactly the same trunk . Any help would be appreciated .

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.