Poorly designed 4th order

4bannger
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
FLA
Okay so I've post about boxes before to ask questions. A member here helped me with a 4th order box for my SUV. I followed his instructions the best as I could and just took his word for it because he seemed he knew what he was doing. After talking to a few guys that own shops around my area they almost looked at me when I was stupid when I told them how it was build. Even after going on another forum and talking to a few members they told me I went totally wrong

Subs: 15" alpine type r

Box: 4th order

Box size: 47" wide x 37" deep x 24" high

Ratio: 8 cuft sealed, 8 cuft ported

Tuning: 40hz

From what I was told the box is all wrong. I want to go with a ported box what should I do to make it have the best output. I was thinking about 8cuft after displacement 34hz tuning with about 14 sq in of port per cube.

Let me know what your thoughts are.

I have built a fourth for type r 12's 4to1 tuned @ 46 did great. 1to1 like yours won't have strong output and it is tuned to low. One 15 or two? The box may be reusable just needs modifying.

I have built a fourth for type r 12's 4to1 tuned @ 46 did great. 1to1 like yours won't have strong output and it is tuned to low. One 15 or two? The box may be reusable just needs modifying.
It's for two fifteens is have the sealed chamber divided so what each is in 4 cuft. From what I hear I should have gone with like 4 cubes total sealed and 8 ported

From what I hear I should have gone with like 4 cubes total sealed and 8 ported
FUCK no.....

I'm graphing two type R 15's on Winisd for a 4th order and they need 4cubes sealed and 4 cubes ported tuned to 40hz. group delay peaks at 40hz to 20ms with a decent roll off.

If you do 8 cubes on the ported chamber, it's going to be a one note piece of shit.

build your own enclosure and stop taking tips for the supposed pros on the forums. some here have never done custom work worth showing and they are acting like they know whats what. learn how to build enclosures yourself. its not something that can be told "cut this and this" and boom awesome results. learn how to build or have someone that knows how build with/for you so you know what they are doing along the way.

life woulda been easier with a ported box from the beginning. You would have gotten better sound with a sealed box lol. 4th orders take a lot of experimenting to get it perfectly right.
actually no, mine burped 47s almost right out of the gate. Oh yeah, with 1kw as well....

Good job, you have tl numbers, doesnt mean its loud to the ear. Ive seen 1 12 do higher numbers on 600 watts at the headrest.
In what vehicle? Id like to see what that same setup would do in my tahoe with the enormous amount of cabin space. Who said it had to be loud to the ear? It was built strictly for burps, it just so happens that it played music just fine.

FUCK no.....
I'm graphing two type R 15's on Winisd for a 4th order and they need 4cubes sealed and 4 cubes ported tuned to 40hz. group delay peaks at 40hz to 20ms with a decent roll off.

If you do 8 cubes on the ported chamber' date=' it's going to be a one note piece of shit.
So your saying that if i make 4 cubes sealed and since i have to divide the chamber each sub would get 2 cubes, and then a 4 cube ported section? so a one to one ratio was the right way to go i just made the chambers too big?

Who told you to build it that way? LOL
build your own enclosure and stop taking tips for the supposed pros on the forums. some here have never done custom work worth showing and they are acting like they know whats what. learn how to build enclosures yourself. its not something that can be told "cut this and this" and boom awesome results. learn how to build or have someone that knows how build with/for you so you know what they are doing along the way.
I can build anything as far as cutting and putting a box together. I just still need to learn the proper numbers to build a box. like how much port to use, and how much space a sub needs.,

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.