Voltage Dropping/ Electrical Issues

asilayinruins

I'm running a Mechman 270amp alternator, in my 2000 Chevy Blazer, that I purchased a couple years ago. Under my hood I'm running a XS Power D3400 battery. I'm running a Sundown Audio ZV4 18" sub (1750rms), on a Sundown Audio SAZ2500 amp (2500rms). Im having voltage issues. My battery never seems to ever reach 14 volts. It usually starts around 12-13 volts, and as I drive and play my sounds(not even bumping too loud), it usually drops below 12 volts. When I do try to crank my sounds loud, when big bass notes hit, it usually drops even lower, and then the sub/amp can't keep up, and skips during those deep notes.

I noticed the D3400 is good up to 2500 watts rms systems. But Sundown might be under-rating their products. Is my D3400 battery under my hood still good? Should I run another battery in parallel? What should I do?

Also could this be an alternator issue? The alternator not charging the battery properly?

I can't even push my Sundowns to nearly its peak. Hopefully my battery is still good, and will I need more power?

Thanks!

That's interesting. When you start your car in the morning, do you have any problem? Maybe low voltage crank? After starting, you say it runs around 12-13 volts which sounds like straight battery power, and then drops after bass notes. Now, if it drops to let's say 11.4 volts and then jumps back up to the 12-13 range, the alternator is working, maybe not 100%, but working, because it is recharging the battery (its intended purpose). There are ways of testing both battery and alternator. Some mechanics have a machine that has two jumper cable looking wires clip to the + and - cables connecting to the battery. That machine can calculate your amperage output. If you have a 270 and its only kicking out 80, you know you have a problem. For the battery, again mechanics can perform a load test to see how the battery holds a charge. Now, if those two tests pass with flying colors, it could be a bad regulator. A voltage regulator is used to maintain a consistent voltage output. It shuts off the flow of energy to the car's battery once the voltage goes above a certain level. It prevents the battery from getting overcharged. That might be going bad.

To answer your other question, YES with a Zv4 18" it's always smart to run another battery to keep feeding it a constant power arounf the 14+ volts range.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.