Car Audio shop fried my amp?

Hello. I took my car in to get wired at a local audio shop. I told them I needed to run 0 gauge / 1alt, all the way around, using the big 3 method. They said no problem. I'm running a ZX2500.1 pushing (8) Kicker CVRs 10 in (4 ohm).

First, they don't use the big 3 method. Amp calls for at least a 300A fuse, and they use a 250.

Third, I ordered a big Shuriken battery rated around 2400 watts, and they install a Kinetik 1400hc which is almost 1/2 a loss in power rating, and definitely not enough for a zx2500.1.

Last but not least, my power was ran to the Kinetik using 0 gauge. The ground was o gauge, but the ground spot was not very clean, and only exposed a little bit of shine to the metal point. However, from the battery to amp, they used FREAKING 4 GAUGE WIRES!!!!

My gains and frequency were all set as they originally were, and speakers played about the same loudness... for about 6 uses... then all of a sudden, speakers clip/fade out, and amp starts smoking.

Burnt smell still in car, amp powers on fine (not in protect mode) but produces no sound or power to subs.

My question is, what should I tell them and can I blame them for a fried amp? Was it most likely a bad ground? Or the fact the dumb asses used 4 gauge from battery to amp?

ANY INPUT IS APPRECIATED! THANKS IN ADVANCE!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you do rely on a shop to do your install, you should never EVER leave without having them show you EVERYTHING they did, E V E R T H I N G. This is one of the main reasons so many on these forums do our own installs. I really hope you can this resolved, gool luck dude.

You told them what you wanted,they put in something else in and you didn't *****, sounds like your fault.
My fault it may be, but was sort of actually looking for useful input. If you lack the knowledge, please refrain from future postings on the thread, kindly.

If you do rely on a shop to do your install, you should never EVER leave without having them show you EVERYTHING they did, E V E R T H I N G. This is one of the main reasons so many on these forums do our own installs. I really hope you can this resolved, gool luck dude.
I understand and appreciate the reply, but can anyone explain if this was caused by something they did i.e. 4 gauge wiring to an amp like that???

Once you leave the facility,and pay in full..you have excepted the install.I would have stayed and made sure that it was done as I paid for..even if it cost me another day without the vehicle.But, those days have been forever gone with me,as I have been installing my own chits since 1991.My last Install by a shop was due to not having the time to do it myself because of working 7 days a week,and 14-18 hr days at that time.When the installer (In Alpharetta GA) asked me how to hook up one of my current amps.That was the last straw for me,as they had my ride for 4 days due to all that was going in at the time.I took off, went got my car,and called the laws to meet my azz there to get my money back on the chitty work that was done.Paid for some that was installed that I approved of.Ive never let anyone touch any of my systems ever again.And it doesn't sound too bad for DIYer.Youre at fault on this one..Throw this under your belt as a lesson learned by getting one handed to ya,and grow some Bags friend.Dont let anyone take your hard earned saved money.

big 3 and adding a battery isn't hard to do man... Didn't really need to have a shop do it for you.

to answer your question bad ground, bad wire quality, too small of a battery, low voltages and blown amp.

Does anyone have any knowledge regarding the question as to what could have caused the amp to fry? Or just a bunch of useless I told you so's.....? I made a mistake. Wont happen again. Lesson learned, but any KNOWLEDGE AVAILABLE?

Yes under sized wire, and low voltage from insufficient electrical can potentially make an amp burn up, I've never owned a kx2500 but check the owners manual I'm sure it calls for 0 what's the amp wired to doing quick math that you should only have a 1 ohm or 4. Possibilites isn't that a 2 ohm stable amp?

Yes under sized wire, and low voltage from insufficient electrical can potentially make an amp burn up, I've never owned a kx2500 but check the owners manual I'm sure it calls for 0 what's the amp wired to doing quick math that you should only have a 1 ohm or 4. Possibilites isn't that a 2 ohm stable amp?
Usually all are 2 but some were 1ohm not stable but took it they were the ****

You cant blame them for **** you already signed payed and left which means you agreed they did their job , since your amp is blown (their fault) technically , they can blame it on you but its their fault for inadiquate power it blew from voltage drop ive seen this time and time again , shops that will hook up things in order for them to blow so the customer can come back and they can upsale them their own products in turn making even more money off an unfortunately (dumba$$) so its a loss on your part you cant do none about it , my question is what you wanna do with that amp? Since its worthless now

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.