How to wire 6.5 and tweeters with no crossovers

Participant count
  • Participant list

southport2014
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Alright so I recently purchased some component speakers off ebay. There Morel Maximo 6.5s.

One of the crossovers is defective and the person wont exchange it or give me a refund, even though on the ad it says theres a 1 year warrenty. Can some one help me figure a way to wire the speakers without a crossover thanks.

Alright so I recently purchased some component speakers off ebay. There Morel Maximo 6.5s.One of the crossovers is defective and the person wont exchange it or give me a refund, even though on the ad it says theres a 1 year warrenty. Can some one help me figure a way to wire the speakers without a crossover thanks.
Do you have an active capable amp?

Just a thought here: Why not try to repair the broken crossover? Many times there is just a broken solder joint on the circuit board due to rough handling during shipping; inductors are heavy components and a hard hit that causes lateral motion of the board can shear something like this off. Over the years I have repaired many pro audio type speakers used in concert audio reinforcement with this type of problem. Sometimes it is just a defective solder joint that once touched with a hot soldering iron it re-flows and gets a solid connection to the circuit board again. Marginal quality solder joints sometimes happen during modern electronics manufacturing and sometimes still manage to get through the QC process. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/blackeye.gif.66a1670f5aaf7f406e783a63e3387dc5.gif

A quick look at the Morel website for this model gives the specs as a crossover point of 3500Hz and a -12dB spec for the woofer and tweeter, which (I guess) would make this a 2nd Order type passive crossover. Given that, I would suspect that the crossover is quite simple containing only a capacitor and inductor for each of the drivers. There can be an impedance-correcting network for the woofer that is called a "Zobel Network", but since there's nothing mentioned in the Morel literature I assume there isn't one in these crossovers.

Here's a web page that shows some passive designs with various crossover "orders" and how they are wired. Crossover Design Chart and Inductance vs. Frequency Calculator(Low-pass)

Hope this helps you somehow!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.

About this thread

southport2014

10+ year member
CarAudio.com Elite
southport2014
Indianapolis, IN
Start date
Participants
Who Replied
Replies
Views
Last reply date