Oscilloscope, overhyped and underexplained

TDot
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Bronx
My subs never sounded as loud as they should have been. My home system with less amps were louder. Following directions here I used an oscilloscope alone. Not liking the results I overcompensated in the wrong ways I burnt up two subs...until today.

All over this forum, and YouTube I see people constantly saying the same thing. "Use an oscilloscope to set your gains." And I fell in the trap...even though I knew better. Here's the problem, doing that alone leaves A LOT of Dbs on the table not giving you the maximum output. For most of the people here that may not be a problem because you are running monster amps and multiple subs trying to crack the concrete and give neighbors migraines. But people like me running 500wrms, every volt counts.

Here's the problem, when a 40hz...or whatever...test tone is used, its a constant tone, constant rms at a set db. No song has a 0db between 0 and 70/80 hz. So why am I setting my amp sub to that. For the purpose checking if our amp/head unit is putting out a clean signal at what they are rated is a good idea to use a oscilloscope, but not to set at the maximum point.

After setting with an oscilloscope, if you have a computer/spectrum analyzer tuned you can see between any song you'll have between 5 and 20 db of headroom at 0-70hz (average seems to be 8db headroom at 40hz, at least with my music). That's A LOT of volume to not take advantage of. Remember, 10db = double perceived volume, so 5db is a nice bump. Of course the further up you go in the frequency the more db will be there after using an oscilloscope, which makes using it a safe route. Ex. a song with 40hz hitting at -5 may have 500hz hitting at +0 and thus clipping, so that does need to be taken into consideration when doing this without an oscilloscope. But most people cut their subs off below 200hz so it shouldn't be a problem.

Some will say you should be able to listen for clipping. Here's the problem, its not easy listening for clipping in a sub when you have the high end cut out, and suffering from ear fatigue. On top of that A LOT of songs are simply horribly recorded since the early 90s. It can be hard to discern distortion mastered into the recording and clipping unless the speaker is actually physically being affected by "baffling"(I think that's the term) a bit. And then if you do find a song that is perfectly engineered and mastered, they are generally not mastered as loud as the rest of the songs are, so it will end up being a waste of time.

So, my suggestion to people just starting this, don't run with the hype of "just set your gains with an oscilloscope." You will be thoroughly disappointed unless you are running a monster. Using an oscilloscope alone could work at the midrange point, 1khz, because songs are usually zeroed in that area, but not the sub.

1/ use an oscilloscope to CHECK YOUR SIGNAL

2/ use a spectrum analyzer to set your gains according to the average of your music

3/ use your ears

Now my sub is perfect, loud, clean, and balanced.

Just my opinion and experience...not preaching.

So you're blaming your own stupidity on the tool?

I set all of my gains with a -3dB tone because most of my music is around -3 to -7dB. I'll probably switch to using a -5dB tone and using a LC-1 soon

So you're blaming your own stupidity on the tool?
Every time someone like you responds, I wonder why you even exist. Or if you had any exposure to reading fundamentals or hooked on phonics...in your case needed...in elementary school. Nowhere did I blame the tool. I would reiterate (you might need a dictionary for that) things to you, but I see it would probably go over your head.
Da64u and mass car audio, your direction is a good one. I would just prefer an analyzer for safety and piece of mind. I wish when people posted topics on oscilloscopes (not just here) they would simply not refer to 0db tones and explain the negative db tones more. Especially on YouTube since there seems to be referenced a lot.

You live and learn.

Every time someone like you responds, I wonder why you even exist. Or if you had any exposure to reading fundamentals or hooked on phonics...in your case needed...in elementary school. Nowhere did I blame the tool. I would reiterate (you might need a dictionary for that) things to you, but I see it would probably go over your head.
Da64u and mass car audio, your direction is a good one. I would just prefer an analyzer for safety and piece of mind. I wish when people posted topics on oscilloscopes (not just here) they would simply not refer to 0db tones and explain the negative db tones more. Especially on YouTube since there seems to be referenced a lot.

You live and learn.
I set with 0db first and learned of negative tones a couple weeks later. I have a good link with the tones and more info if you want.

You live and learn.
You clearly said the oscope wasn't useful for setting sub gains because it leaves a lot of output on the table... And I'm the stupid one?

Now, continue your (sp?)dumbassery.

You clearly said the oscope wasn't useful for setting sub gains because it leaves a lot of output on the table... And I'm the stupid one?
Now, continue your (sp?)dumbassery.
I believe that is indeed spelled correctly.

Also, OP, your whole point here is that setting by ear is better than using a scope because you set your gains with an incorrect tone. You are calling a tool useless because you aren't using it correctly... That's like saying a hammer is useless because it's hard to flip a burger with it.

... And I'm the stupid one?
Lmao, I couldn't say it any better, most definitely!

Again, hooked on phonics will do both you and your friend justice. Nowhere did I say it wasn't useful. I did say you shouldn't use it to set gains with 0 db, as well clearly in the title UNDER-EXPLAINED, but I see as with many things that flew over your head too. And then I suggested another useful tool to use to make things better. I understand that you may be one of those individuals that like to rub sticks together to make fire...but there are lighters now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

As for your friend riding you, I didn't say ears are better. As a matter of fact, I gave a lot of reasons why they aren't. Adding the ears is simply an old rule of thumb. If your ears are being used to enjoy the outcome, you might as well involve it in someway with the process. If I was promoting ears as the main thing, it would be number one in the list. Talk about missing a point. I do understand when you have to read intently it can cause misunderstandings like this, and be complex for some people if you have no exposure to fundamental reading comprehension.

Don't worry, I won't hold your blatant lack of understanding against you too.

Anyway, I'm bored of this now, take care you two poster children of pre k and continued education.

Ps, if you have to ask if a made up word is spelled correctly, you clearly are stupid lmao!

Anyone else who's a Tenacious jackass D!ck rider...

"You only get half a bar, **** y'all -!--@$."

Lmao, I couldn't say it any better, most definitely!
Again, hooked on phonics will do both you and your friend justice. Nowhere did I say it wasn't useful. I did say you shouldn't use it to set gains with 0 db, as well clearly in the title UNDER-EXPLAINED, but I see as with many things that flew over your head too. And then I suggested another useful tool to use to make things better. I understand that you may be one of those individuals that like to rub sticks together to make fire...but there are lighters now //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

As for your friend riding you, I didn't say ears are better. As a matter of fact, I gave a lot of reasons why they aren't. Adding the ears is simply an old rule of thumb. If your ears are being used to enjoy the outcome, you might as well involve it in someway with the process. If I was promoting ears as the main thing, it would be number one in the list. Talk about missing a point. I do understand when you have to read intently it can cause misunderstandings like this, and be complex for some people if you have no exposure to fundamental reading comprehension.

Don't worry, I won't hold your blatant lack of understanding against you too.

Anyway, I'm bored of this now, take care you two poster children of pre k and continued education.

Ps, if you have to ask if a made up word is spelled correctly, you clearly are stupid lmao!

Anyone else who's a Tenacious jackass D!ck rider...

"You only get half a bar, **** y'all -!--@$."
I feel honored that I upset you enough for you to write three paragraphs.

That time could have been spent learning how to properly use the oscilloscope.

the OP is mistaken in their assumption that using test tones and a scope is a flawed method. The "dB left on the table" is called headroom. that headroom is reserved to allow for a wide range of songs - including SPL tracks or bass CD's.

i've seen songs that are mixed to result in near 0dB bass lines (while letting the music clip and sound like crap). Every song has different bass line amplitudes. The point of using a scope is to ensure that clipping NEVER happens. Not to operate at the edge of clipping at every moment. The latter is what you did and why you destroyed your gear. People are going to give you a hard time for that because you did it knowing you would clip your output.

No matter what gain method you choose, misuse of the volume knob is what causes damage.

Every song is mixed differently and older songs were done with a lower dynamic range so they have a lower average signal amplitude compared to modern music that is overly compressed/limited. You want to leave some headroom in the system to account for different recording levels. You also want to leave headroom in the sub level setting to allow for adjustment given the amplitude of bass in the song.

but by maxing all sources and using a 0dB tone, you guarantee you will never clip the output. but you will also never achieve rated power output of the amplifiers. if you want to be able to clip the output of the amp at will given certain music sources, you can increase the gain setting beyond what you determine from using a scope. if you use -3dB tones or -5dB tones then you still need to be aware of the musical source and the signal amplitude of the source.

you can view songs in Audacity or Goldwave and apply bandpass filters to see what the signal strength is of various frequency ranges. however, each song is different so it's for amusement only.

an oscilloscope is the correct tool for the job because it is the only tool that lets you observe the waveform, but you still need to understand what you are measuring and how it relates to music. typical instructions for using a scope include using 75% usable volume and 75% sub level settings to let you get more signal strength for weak recordings.

for SQ setups I use a 0dB tone to ensure the amplifier is far from clipping and audible distortion for all volume ranges.

for SPL setups I use a 0dB tone to determine the exact volume setting and sub level setting to achieve the highest amplitude signal that is still clean. Then we use a 0dB tone and replicate the volume level and settings during runs.

as long as you understand what you're doing, 0dB tones are just fine.

clipping is audible in subwoofer systems if you build the system correctly. if you cannot hear clipping over rattles, then the install is poor. trunk subs have always been more susceptible because it is harder to hear clipping through the seats - that is where careful gain adjustment and an understanding of signal levels is important.

do you think -10db is to much? some decks i setup for others i like to set the volume to the max. reason being if you tell them to only go 75% they

are just tempted to go full blast. I dont want the system to take a dump. So I go very conservative setting gains.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.