LMS Ultra T line

FISHKILLER
10+ year member

After many hours of surfing research, a few measurements and many hours of graph paper sketches, I have decided on a single 18" Ultra in a 1/4 T line for my ext cab Z71. Gonna Biamp it for now with my 2 JL 1000/1. See how it goes and how it sounds like that. Doubt I will get the full 1/4 wave length of 20 hz but I should be able to get close to it. Very excited about this. Been looking for a good SQ setup with high output. Hopefully I have chosen wisely. Only time will tell.

Wouldn't be my first choice for an app like that. LMS ultra's work great in small enclosures, so putting it in a T-Line def takes away from that and a Tline tuned at 20hz for an 18 is going to be monstously large compared to a ported box of maybe 10 cubes gross you'd need for an LMS ultra ported. I guess if you have the room and really want to use it, go for it.

I can always build a second box if T line does not work out.
NO reason it won't acoustically work, it's just going to be REALLY big, compared to a ported box of similar output.. Did you draw it out already to see what kind of area a box like that will take up?

Only able to squeeze a tuning of 24 hz out of my space. That is 3.5hz higher than Fs of speaker. Hopefully a Tline pro will chime in and tell me yay or nay! Box is 60x24x24 as of now. Gonna stretch it to 61.5 . The 24x24 is max depth while keeping box under window line. Really cant imagine how much this rig is going to weigh! Box will be all rounded inside, no corners or 45s. I suppose I could use a little polyfill to make up for the shortness of my line. The line area a made 15% smaller than sd of driver. Have read several times this is an ok practice.

Planning on sub and port firing back, same way my box is now. I have the rear wall of my truck deadened, then a piece of 3/4 mdf attached then covered in stock carpet. I have the sub set back in my box 3" so sub will be about 5 to six inches off rear wall. Rather not do sub up port up for amps and storage.

Just opened my LMS ULTRA today! WOW. My biggest subs prior to this bicep building beast were some old school MTX blue thunder 12" I had way way way back! I am 41, crazy how much more affordable car audio is now versus when I was 17! Have a large welding job going in my garage currently, will be done in a few days. Then its time for my T line!

It seems crazy to me that you can even mount a sub this heavy in a non horizontal fashion! Planning on double baffle for it but dang, seems like the basket would almost wanna flex under the weight of the motor!

It never dawned on me in the SMD thread but how much space will you have between the sub & terminus and the back wall of the cab? I'm really concerned that that won't work out really well to be honest.

Also, I'm wondering about how the line is shaped and whether or not you have enough depth to cool the sub. If it's to be mounted in a 12" depth then it's not enough to cool properly but since I don't know how the line is shaped I'm only speculating.

Here is a short video of my extended cab truck with a two 15 line:

Even though that's more cone area than one 18, it's not a whole lot and there is no way at all that I could a) mount those subs conventionally & b) face them and the terminus backward.

I have drawn out my plans for both the sub and terminus to face the rear wall of my cab. They are at opposite ends of my 60" wide box. I have planned to have my sub sat into, or sunk in rather 3" from back of box. Terminus will be flush with back of box. Box will be 3" to 4" from back of cab. I had previously removed carpet from back of cab, deadened cab wall (and other areas as well), screwed a piece of 3/4 MDF onto back wall then covered wall with stock carpet, all in hopes of creating a better environment for my current setup to load onto. Don't know if load is the proper term but you get what I am saying.

My box is 28" deep at bottom and 24" deep at top with a depth of 24". So my sub with an 11.5" mounting depth, set back in 3", will be about 10" from back of sub to front face of box wall.

Just checked out your vids. My box is similar in size. I am planning on making an angle on front of my box hence the 24 and 28 inch depth difference. Going to make the box much more difficult to build but I can do it.

Did you ever hear those subs in that truck in a standard box with same power? I am really hoping for good SQ but also looking for a little flex as well! Thanks for the time for your input thus far!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.