sony xplode HU giving me problems HELP

ju5nic

PA
I have sony xplode HU and will cut out. It cuts out when the volume is up high, and will cut out when I'm driving and coming to a stop once stopped, it will cut in and out till I start to drive again. Also the car has to be running for the HU to play. If I have the key in the ignition turned half way on no sound will come out the speakers. Also my car batter will die time to time. I have no external amp no sub and the HU is hooked up to harman pardon speakers.

PLEASE HELP

you got your wiring jacked up some how for it to behave like you're describing. You need to overlook your wiring again. Get on google and find which color wire does what job.

does anybody know if the head unit on his car is ignition or PCM controlled? Google aint helping me.

Actually i had got a guy at best buy to do it at his house for less money. He had only hooked it up half way to where only 2 speakers would play i was to meet him the next day for him to finish, so i lost trust in that he would do it right, so i had a friend finish the job.

battery is new because the last one was completely dead due to the head unit. if id let my car sit with out running for 3 days the battery dies and have to charge it. some how the head unit is drawling power.

then that just leaves the install as being the problem. You might just have to spend more money than you would have originally to have a shop fix it for you.

i found a wiring diagram for both car and head unit is there any thing that should stand out as being the problem when i start looking for the problem

Okay, maybe I am a bit biased here, but you need to go and spend $10 on an aftermarket harness made for your vehicle. We can provide help, but this should be the start of helping yourself. The aftermarket harness will plug directly into your stock harness, and then you'll have exposed wires to connect from it.

From the aftermarket harness, the 3 main wires are: Power; Accessory & Ground. If any of these are done incorrectly, you'll have a problem very quickly (if the unit even starts).

Connecting the speakers after that is simple, as long as you can read and use a crimping tool or soldering iron.

Out of curiosity, how did you get the radio to work if you just cut and spliced? Your install has FAIL written all over it. (1) You need to remove your aftermarket radio; (2) re-connect your factory wires to how they originally were; (3) purchase an aftermarket harness similar to this & (4) Follow the wiring instructions on the aftermarket radio, and connect the wires accordingly.

since you own a bmw you should know that things are never easy or cheap when it comes to working on them. Was it worth the saving the money you did to have all this headache? Now for the fix, pull the radio and just check out how things are connected. Are they crimped soldered or just taped? Are there more than a pair of wires getting connected in one place? If more than one factory wire are getting connected together that could explain the current draw. First things first is to get a dmm when you pull the radio out and test wires to see if they do have something else that shouldnt be connected to the constant wire or any other wire in there. Myself I would probably disconnect all that they did and start over from scratch. You might also have to run a new acc wire to the fuse panel to get it to properly turn on and off like it should. There is a possibility they have the acc wire currently connected to a data wire instead of an actual 12v switched source. this may be the case if it is a "premium" sounds system. My best advice, stop being cheap and have a professional do it, and not in their driveway.

At the time a years ago it was worth the free head unit, and paying the guy 50 dollars to instal. now all the trouble it has given me, no not worth it one bit. i just had the head unit out and there are but connectors used. there is extra wires exposed though i believe they are for the steering wheel controls, witch is not hooked up. and comparing the wiring diagram and the hu diagram every thing seems to be connected properly. they i will try starting from scratch. if that won't fix the problem ill be having a professional fix it. i want to up grade with two subs and 2 6 1/2s. I'm just thinking the hu can't handle the 10 harman kardon speakers. but thank you all who has giving positive feedback.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.