Why aren't my lights dimming?

I have stock everything except a green-top interstate battery that is about a year old. I am running one 12 inch Alpine type-r at 1200RMS from a hifonics 1600.1d at 2ohms.

My lights dont dim at all regardless of my gain being set at 3/4. (Tuned by best buy when they installed.)

Just wondering if for some reason I have it hooked up at 4ohms. The sub itself is a 4 ohm sub so I dind't think that was possible.

EDIT: 1999 4runner SR5 stock ALT

Okay, Just a bit hesitant because I was told on another forum not to turn up the gain all the way because it may start clipping. But if you're saying it is safe, I will do that.

You're good on stock electrical up to approximately 1,500 watts. Anything over 15, you should be looking to upgrade your electrical system. Someone said it earlier, you MAY see about 700watts in your current set up. However, I would upgrade my Big 4 using 1/0(if not already done).

You're good on stock electrical up to approximately 1,500 watts. Anything over 15, you should be looking to upgrade your electrical system. Someone said it earlier, you MAY see about 700watts in your current set up. However, I would upgrade my Big 4 using 1/0(if not already done).
Now is that because of my electrical? Or is beacuse my gain is only up 3/4~ of the way?

You don't ever want your gain at max. That could cause clipping. You can contact them, to see what was used to set the gain. More than likely, they went by ear. Do you want your lights to dim? You have a d4 sub. Its wired to a 2 ohm configuration. Your amp is putting out half of its power, 7-800w. This is not gonna stress your electrical system, unless your alt is already weak/going bad.

You don't ever want your gain at max. That could cause clipping. You can contact them, to see what was used to set the gain. More than likely, they went by ear. Do you want your lights to dim? You have a d4 sub. Its wired to a 2 ohm configuration. Your amp is putting out half of its power, 7-800w. This is not gonna stress your electrical system, unless your alt is already weak/going bad.
I'll call after work. My Sub is indeed wired to 2ohms, the amp I have puts out 1200W at 2ohms. It is cea compliant hifonics brutus 1600.1d the gain is set a little below 3/4

I dont want my lights to dim but I"ve been told that at that many watts is should be.

At 1200 Watts RMS there will likely be dimming of some kind at idle and maybe when cruising depending on the song and alternator. Also, never set you amp gain to max unless your preouts are that high. You set your gain to match the voltage on your RCAs.

he's just messing with you man, dont do it haha.
What would be your reccomendation to get the correct amount out of my amp? Is it because of the amp? Or are there some settings I can tweak to make it louder. Right now I have the bass at +2/+7 on my HU and LOUD is on. I listen to the system at about volume 10 on my Alpine cde-121

Op the gain is NOT a volume knob....
I understand. I haven't touched the gain knob since they set it last weekend when it was installed. I just didn't know that guy up there was joking when he said turn the knob up. I'm sorta new to the whole car audio scene so I didn't know.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.