friends new head unit is clipping out

Participant count
  • Participant list
I had a friend describe his issue for me and I think I know the issue, I just want some reassurance from the crowd here. They installed a new radio (pioneer deh x6500bt) in his kids 2006 kia Sorrento lx. he's pretty sure it comes with a stock amplifier. The problem he is having is after playing for a few minutes, the sound will just clip out and not come back on. If he shuts down and starts up again the radio will work and clip out again after a short period of time. He said he did not install a line out converter so my initial thought si that is the problem but before I have him buy on, I want to make sure. any ideas?

There could be a short or it could be wired incorrectly giving the wrong impedance causing it to overheat, without pulling it and testing the wiring there's no telling.

There could be a short or it could be wired incorrectly giving the wrong impedance causing it to overheat, without pulling it and testing the wiring there's no telling.
all he loses is the factory speakers. the subs still produce sound. It sounds as though his stock amp is going into protect mode. Im good friends with the kids dad, and hes the one who wired it. I trust his wiring abilities, but plan on checking it out myself this weekend. My question is really, could the lack of a line out converter be putting the stock amp into protect mode?

He used high level inputs instead of LOC is taht what youre saying?
he just wired the new radio straight into a factory harness adaptor with no converter in the middle

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

im assuming the 50x4 signal the deck is sending to the amp is putting it into protect mode.. possible??

he just wired the new radio straight into a factory harness adaptor with no converter in the middle 

---------- Post added at 09:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:02 AM ----------

im assuming the 50x4 signal the deck is sending to the amp is putting it into protect mode.. possible??
Ok first off, what amp are you talking about? I heard you say something about a sub that would still play, is it an aftermarket sub with an amp he added in? How did he get a signal to that sub if not through LOC? High Level Inputs in aftermarket amp straight from speaker wires?

Ok first off, what amp are you talking about? I heard you say something about a sub that would still play, is it an aftermarket sub with an amp he added in? How did he get a signal to that sub if not through LOC? High Level Inputs in aftermarket amp straight from speaker wires?
yes, he added an amp and sub. the aftermarket amp is connected to his new deck through rcas. the car comes wit a stock amp for the speakers. the stock amp is the one that is clipping out. Im thinkning he would need a pac soem converter, but when I put all his info into crutchfield it didn't say anything about needing one

yes, he added an amp and sub. the aftermarket amp is connected to his new deck through rcas. the car comes wit a stock amp for the speakers. the stock amp is the one that is clipping out. Im thinkning he would need a pac soem converter, but when I put all his info into crutchfield it didn't say anything about needing one
Yea sorry, its too early for me im super busy at work lol duh.

Here is wiring diagram, dont think its that year (think its 2003) but should be similar.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/VirtualWrench/2010-02-08_221540_radio.pdf

I would call crutchfield personall and ask them if you need a PAC OEM4 or whatever. My car factory amplifier had a wiring harness I ran to bypass it. I couldnt find one for that Kia for some reason?

My guess is that whatever load the factory speakers are coupled with the radio are causing it to overheat just like you mentioned. Sometimes the factory speakers are weird impendances with factory amps. I would call crutchfield though they are very knowledgeable in stock configurations usually and should be able to point you in the right direction. Have your friend next to you or three way call them together so he can explain how he wired everything specifically.

Also make certain the the speakers are grounded back to the amp, and the amp getting it's power from the battery rather than a shared circuit, and grounds are not to the sheet metal of the body. Here in the PacNW (and its wonderful climate) we have constant issues with grounds going bad owing in part to poor vehicle design.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.