Will the hobby of car audio ever die?

ladysmanfelpz
10+ year member

Phoenix
It's been discussed before, but what do you guys think will happen to car audio with emerging technology?

Now I am a pretty conservative dude and I love technology and every knew bit of science we discover, but sometimes technology can hurt us as people. It makes us lazy and we rely on a machine to do one more task for us. We stop thinking and recognizing landmarks and instead let our GPS direct us to our intended target. I know people have discussed how car audio took a big dip in enthusiasts because of manufacturers making it too difficult to put in aftermarket equipment, but do you think with emerging technology and cheaper manufacturing of quality parts that aftermarket equipment may be deemed irrelevant or at least very detrimental to the resale of a quality car?

I am fairly new to car audio, as I only had one car to work on through high school and now just picked up a new ride in my last year of college that I have big plans for. I love all the work that goes into it. Like any educated person in the topic I now know its not just teens throwing subs in their trunk and annoying the neighborhood block like how many people portray car audio. A great deal of work goes in to the build for maximum quality, sound, and aesthetics. Its fun cuz like any hobby you can do a cheap build and try to get the most for your dollar, or go all out and get maximum quality. Not only is it high quality components, but location of speakers and correct wiring and sound dampening of the vehicle all play a part.

I'm no economist, but I know that Moore's law is a fact and we can double the circuits on a cpu or half the cost of the same cpu every 2 years, and that is why amps and all technology gets smaller and/or cheaper over time. I also believe that separation of components leads to best performance as one part doing one job will most likely do better than one component handling multiple jobs. So with amps getting smaller will they ever get to the point where powerful amps (say 50w a channel) can be included in the head unit? Will car manufacturers include these as well as high quality speakers? Car companies are also always looking at making their vehicles lighter and seems as if they are even going into sound dampening. Will sound quality just be a fact of messing with your stock eq, but require little aftermarket wiring and components?

Just a thought since I am getting into the hobby and would hate to see people's hard work lesser appreciated in the future. Even if quality parts came included in a car our audiophiles' trained ears would still be able to set up the correct sound, but it would be a shame to see such a thing lose its substance.

I mean sure I think there will still be competitions and crazy builds, but you think its going to fade off that quickly. How come? Like I mentioned just better performing head units, or small amps included in newer vehicles with higher quality speakers?

new autos are getting harder and harder to integrate with, i work at a shop, even if people wanted to do it with all of the factory sound systems getting better and better ex..jbl in toyotas, the common public is not going to be able to work on these cars, or understand how to integrate them. you will have to change everything all at once, so those who can will have deep pockets.

---------- Post added at 06:24 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:23 PM ----------

we are already seeing this, yeah sure there are summing devices etc, but like i said most don't understand how to integrate them, or are willing to pay the extra to make it work.......its the sad truth.

By the time Car Manufacturers will start doing those things stock, think of the equipment the car audio world will have. Car Manufacturers care about price. Lets be honest, most people aren't going to drop an extra $1,000 dollars to have audiophile quality sound when they buy a car. So by the time the technology now is cheap enough to put into cars by stock, we will be in a whole new ball park.

Although if we don't make major advancements in Battery Technology or efficiency, we will be at a standstill power wise.

See thats kind of how I think too tyler. Like materials will be better. I feel that there is a major sq difference on cone material such as paper vs carbon fiber or some other fiber weave. And amps will only get smaller and we have have so many other components that can do better jobs than just the essentials such as active crossovers. So maybe active cross overs will be built into amps. And plus it takes good conducting materials to handle the power loads we demand and I don't think any stock car will take the time/money needed to put in monster RCA's and stinger wire. Yes just like any technology it will advance, but stock car systems will advance too, just as manufacturers now are putting in better systems, but I still don't think it will match the quality and art of a custom install. But then it comes down to cost and difficulty of install like Kramer mentioned and then at that point does it become even worth it?

Working class Americans listen to the majority of their music in the car. A large portion of people who do work have a decent commute to work. Because of those two factors a lot of people like to get a good audio setup put in because it makes the car ride more enjoyable. Car audio will never die.

Working class Americans listen to the majority of their music in the car. A large portion of people who do work have a decent commute to work. Because of those two factors a lot of people like to get a good audio setup put in because it makes the car ride more enjoyable. Car audio will never die.
But, most of those people are satisfied with the stock system. Hell, my dads car sounded amazing stock, only thing he added was a low power, sealed 12" sub for a little more on the low end.

But, most of those people are satisfied with the stock system. Hell, my dads car sounded amazing stock, only thing he added was a low power, sealed 12" sub for a little more on the low end.
But see. Key word. Added. I get what you are saying tho.

Well see its ****** to talk about but technology always changes the market. Like I said its not just a hobby, its an art. A clean install with hidden amps and no wires showing and speakers molded in neat locations is a work of an art to me. Plus people will always want tv's and all types of other goodies in their car so I guess it will never die, but market may decrease. Who knows maybe car manufacturers know that people love their sound systems and instead will arrange the interior so it is easier to add aftermarket components even such things as amp mounting locations and areas for easy runs of wire.

Who knows maybe car manufacturers know that people love their sound systems and instead will arrange the interior so it is easier to add aftermarket components even such things as amp mounting locations and areas for easy runs of wire.
amen, I would love that. maybe they would even make it so you could easily mount ho alternators. Or an upgrade package that includes a small sub already mounted. But I doubt that's ever going to happen, cars are becoming increasingly hard to work on, so much so that whenever there's a problem you have to go to the shop to get your rolling computer checked out. I guess I'm probably to young to understand the "olden days", but from what it sounds like, cars were so easy to work on you could get on your rolling platform and slide underneath the vehicle, or pop the hood and DIY. the majority of people unfortunately like it that way because they have no shop skills at all and would prefer not to learn. At least where I live, I've never seen or heard anybody with anything other than a stock system driving around. You can always tell they're stock because it sound like butt. I really wish I could hear good sound in person, besides the cheap HT system I own.

Well see its ****** to talk about but technology always changes the market. Like I said its not just a hobby, its an art. A clean install with hidden amps and no wires showing and speakers molded in neat locations is a work of an art to me. Plus people will always want tv's and all types of other goodies in their car so I guess it will never die, but market may decrease. Who knows maybe car manufacturers know that people love their sound systems and instead will arrange the interior so it is easier to add aftermarket components even such things as amp mounting locations and areas for easy runs of wire.
It is an art. I hate when people bash me for doing it when they drop $1,000s of dollars in paint, rims, exhausts, etc. Producing clean power, providing a large enough power source, hiding multiple runs of 0 gauge wire and strands of speaker wire and dissembling half the freakin' interior takes some dang finesse. Plus people who custom tailor panels for speakers... I mean come on. Its a very artful hobby that certainly isn't for the everyday person.

My passion of car audio started of for me was to be louder than my friends and then their friends. Now that I'm older (34) I appreciate my Sq and still a little spl. Everyone like different genres of music, and they all need their own equipment tailored. Until a stock car rolls off the line doing mid 40's, I'm not worried.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.