Is it worth running amp to stock front speakers?

theromanone
10+ year member

Installing a sub and 4 channel amp to power that sub in my Hyundai Veloster with upgraded Dimension audio. I'll have a channel or two not used since the amp has enough power to cover the sub with 2-3 channels. Is it worth it to use the rest of the channel(s) from the amp to run to the front? What are the positives? Negatives?

** The more expensive shop said this WAS worth it for clarity and would be a little louder, they'd install with 8 guage wire for $231 or $190 without running amp to the front speakers.

The other shop said it wouldn't be worth it, said 4 gauge is better, and it's $170 for the install (w/o running to front).

(Sub is JL Audio CS110RG-W3V3, amp is Cadence FXA-4100)

I have read on my VW forum that people have bought amps to upgrade the factory amp and loved it.

I know crutchfield sold a factory amp upgrade kit. Had good reviews on it.

You can't use "2-3" channels and have 1 left over. They're most likely bridging 2 channels for the subwoofer and the other two are free for use on speakers.

If they will connect the amplifier after the factory amplifier it should work fine, as long as the separate speakers in the front are powered by the same 2 channels.

Installing a sub and 4 channel amp to power that sub in my Hyundai Veloster with upgraded Dimension audio. I'll have a channel or two not used since the amp has enough power to cover the sub with 2-3 channels. Is it worth it to use the rest of the channel(s) from the amp to run to the front? What are the positives? Negatives?

** The more expensive shop said this WAS worth it for clarity and would be a little louder, they'd install with 8 guage wire for $231 or $190 without running amp to the front speakers.

The other shop said it wouldn't be worth it, said 4 gauge is better, and it's $170 for the install (w/o running to front).

(Sub is JL Audio CS110RG-W3V3, amp is Cadence FXA-4100)

i am confused but A i wouldnt run a subwoofer with a 4ch amp that is straight ghetto not done right. and second you cant use 3 ch.'s to run a sub. youre doing it wrong but im sure someone here will help you out

Thanks for the replies.. I have a Sub sealed and ready to go, and an amp with more than enough power to run it, I'd really just want to use what I already have //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Wanted to see if i's worth spending extra to wire up the front two (which it sounds like there may be better sound based on you guys).

Also - looks like the sub is 500 RMS at 2 ohm.... the amp is 150 RMS x 4 at 2 ohm and 100 RMS at 4 ohm. Am I losing out on the sub if they install only 2 channels (2x150 = 300RMS) for the whole sub (500RMS)? I'm basically clueless about all of this stuff.

Thanks for the replies.. I have a Sub sealed and ready to go, and an amp with more than enough power to run it, I'd really just want to use what I already have //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif Wanted to see if i's worth spending extra to wire up the front two (which it sounds like there may be better sound based on you guys)
do NOT do that ghetto crap.

---------- Post added at 11:20 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 AM ----------

do not do that ghetto crap you're trying to do

Yeah yeah I know it's atypical but I'm fine with the stock audio (which is the "upgraded" version), just want a little more bass, maybe a bit more loudness. I listen to EDM (deep house, house, trance + the two main Sirius edm channels) This will be my first 'system' in any car I've driven, or been in.
I have this amp: Cadence FXA-4100 1200W A/B Class 4-Channel Flash Series Stereo Car Amplifier at Onlinecarstereo.com

I have this sub: CS110RG-W3v3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - PowerWedge
That amplifier, or really most any 4-channel amplifier, is a poor choice for that subwoofer. It all comes down to the impedance. You would have to use 1 channel of the amplifier, as you can't safely bridge the amplifier for a 2 ohm load. That technically will function with the sub wired to just one channel, but it's a last ditch solution that I would never sell someone.

Do either of these shops really know in detail what you've asked them about installing?

That amplifier, or really most any 4-channel amplifier, is a poor choice for that subwoofer. It all comes down to the impedance. You would have to use 1 channel of the amplifier, as you can't safely bridge the amplifier for a 2 ohm load. That technically will function with the sub wired to just one channel, but it's a last ditch solution that I would never sell someone.
Do either of these shops really know in detail what you've asked them about installing?
Yes. I've went to both shops, and they've looked in my car, looked up the specs for both the amp, sub, and also the exact specifications of my stock (factory upgraded) audio system. It was an in depth quote I would say.

Yeah yeah I know it's atypical but I'm fine with the stock audio (which is the "upgraded" version), just want a little more bass, maybe a bit more loudness. I listen to EDM (deep house, house, trance + the two main Sirius edm channels) This will be my first 'system' in any car I've driven, or been in.
I have this amp: Cadence FXA-4100 1200W A/B Class 4-Channel Flash Series Stereo Car Amplifier at Onlinecarstereo.com

I have this sub: CS110RG-W3v3 - Car Audio - Subwoofer Systems - PowerWedge

LOL I listen to BPM about 99% of the time. If you are just looking for a little bit more bass, You could just do the sub by it's self or a nice 3 channel amp. Arc audio makes a nice one & very small. 400x1 for the sub.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.