fiberglass question, 3oz vs 1.5oz vs .75oz

Participant count
  • Participant list

spencer321
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
palm bay
Got a new car, have to remake door pods, ive done doorpods before but the door was flat so I had a MDF back plate. New doors are not flat but have a nice cavity to get a backing mold from.

Local marine store only carries 3oz chopped mat, most tutorials ive seen say to use 1.5oz, Im curious if the 3oz chop is going to be too stiff to work with.

anyone with experience in any weight csm please chime in amd describe your experience

3oz is some heavy stuff...i dont think you would need that for some door pods. do they not sell 1.5oz? not sure if you have an ace hardware but i know you can sometimes find different size matte there as well.

interested when to see these pods when you start them....

posting "builds" I get too involved and forget to pick up a camera but ill try to make a decent build thread. Im not so much worried about weight as flexibility. If 3oz is that heavy duty I can do 2 layers and be done im just concerned with how workable it is, if it doesn't conform or bend easily ill get to save a layer but create twice the work fighting with the stuff. I can get 1.5 and even .75 but instead of a 5 minute drive its an hour drive.

Technically it should take twice as much resin but its a long panel so 4 layers of 1.5 or 2 layers of 3 should be the same, I appreciate it guys, going to give the 3oz stuff a shot, if I find it unbearable to work with at least I should figure it out in the mold stage and not have to ruin a whole piece

Got a new car, have to remake door pods, ive done doorpods before but the door was flat so I had a MDF back plate. New doors are not flat but have a nice cavity to get a backing mold from.
Local marine store only carries 3oz chopped mat, most tutorials ive seen say to use 1.5oz, Im curious if the 3oz chop is going to be too stiff to work with.

anyone with experience in any weight csm please chime in amd describe your experience

hey man if you live in palm bay I have a friend who could help you out with glassing. just pm if you wanna chat bud

I really appreciate it but I have this thing about doing it myself or not at all lol not talking about evan by any chance are you?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.