F150 iPad mini dash- Real deal this time

03F150MrSBF
10+ year member

Senior VIP Member
Texas
So I had a previous thread about a awesome idea of getting a ipad mini in my dash. That didn't pan out so well. Got some crappy work returned to me that was "basically done" for months and months. Done by a guy dubbed "Murdapanel"

Don't believe me? You decide.(keep in mind this was the FINISHED product he sent)

NOW fast forward. After posting on here how unhappy I was and my story someone reached out and wanted to help my situation. @CandeShop stepped in. Here is his work. And it'll speak for itself. He can come in a explain what materials he used and answer anymore questions. Pretty knowledgable guy, and very upfront.

10 pic limit reached

Last edited by a moderator:

Notice the texture he did to match as close as possible. Great touch. Also added some material to the back of the dash so it doesn't scratch up the mini. Probably doesn't matter since it's just the back but he took the extra step to protect my gear. Now to get this in my hands and take some more pics. INSTALLED finally! //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Oh and he was easy to work with. I tossed out some ideas, and was straight forward with answering if they would work or not. If he didn't know, he built a mock up, tested it, and answered me truthfully instead of saying yes,yes,yes, and having the product fail. So I was able to get my radio moved to where the ac controls were and I'll be relocating the controls to my console. Overall experience was good. Kept constant communication thru texts,FB, phone calls. I wouldn't worry about not having a way to contact this guy.

I've seen this install on other forums. Why not flush into the dash with both the head unit and hvac controls relocated? Would look much cleaner IMO
Just what I was thinking. I'm not saying it's not good work, i'm just curious why it was purposely made to stick up/out and be extremely noticeable.

Yeah it wasn't recessed because I wanted it to be removable. The only other way to make it more flush and removable was with a soundman float mount. Which you see I had, but it didn't work out so well. It's a little on the thicker side for the dash and the first attempt cut off a few mounting points and my ac vents didn't even fit back on there. Probably 100% error on the "fabricator".

But this is only as thick as the mini so it'll slide out. I get it today so I'll post installed pics soon. Oh and I didn't want to relocate both hvac and radio. I had my radio in my console but I didn't like looking down so much. It's just a little more time not looking at the road and I didn't care for it. So I'm putting radio back up and moving ac panel down to console. It was my preference.

I've seen this install on other forums. Why not flush into the dash with both the head unit and hvac controls relocated? Would look much cleaner IMO
Just what I was thinking. I'm not saying it's not good work, i'm just curious why it was purposely made to stick up/out and be extremely noticeable.

It's not extremely noticeable in the F150/Expedition. There have been quite a few that have left the shop this way. Relocating the HVAC controls on these vehicles can be tricky (although I've done it before) as the selector switch is vacuum based and the wiring for the electronic parts doesn't allow you to go far without extending the wires.

Since the customer requested to put his headunit where the HVAC controls were, we put it to the test in a mock up vehicle for a week and let the driver "drive it like he stole it" to make sure the front plate (stock part that goes over the HVAC controls and headunit) wouldn't break or fall from the dash with that much weight on the 10yr old plastic tabs. It passed the test so we informed the customer it would work. He wanted that route and we made it happen.

Now as far as relocating the controls and headunit and having the ipad further down in the dash, we've got a local customer that actually wants it that way. Steps have already been taken to move the HVAC controls to the cubby hole below the steering column and headunit to the center console.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.