Please critique what my neighbor wants to order for me.

Jestoner

First off i should say what i want is a nice sounding reasonable music set up for mostly rock (no need for loud thumping). Not looking to impress anyone or go to car shows, just want a function-able setup that will last. Also, i know next to nothing about the car audio world so i am heavily relying on this forum and my neighbor to learn what i can.

My neighbor does a lot of custom installs and suggested the following items based on what i was looking for;

Car - 2006 Mazdaspeed six (with a bose system i can't stand) By removing the 6 disc changer it also removes the climate control so i have to buy a special dash kit with these chips to retain the use of my heat and ac Amazon.com: Metra 99-7524B Mazda 6 Double and ISO DIN Radio Install Kit for 2006-08: Car Electronics

Headunit - Per his recommendation i picked out a JVC head unit. My main goal was to have both bluetooth to stream podcasts/pandora etc from my android phone and hook up my ipod classic to play my music JVC Mobile Entertainment \ 1-DIN CD Receiver - KD-A95BT \ Introduction

component set - Here is where i am relying on my neighbor he suggests COMP 6 INCH PF-CM650 EXTERNAL X/OVER - CAR AUDIO

subwoofer - I already have a kicker l7 that is probably close to 10 years old now. Again relying on my neighbor who is suggesting i switch to a lanzar opti series 10 inch sub since i am not looking for that hard hitting bass and apparently he gets a decent discount on them Lanzar OPTI10MI 10" Opti Pro 1000 Watt Midbass Speaker | 292-2594

amp - I currently have Kicker SX650.1 Mono subwoofer amplifier — 650W x 1 at 2 ohms at Crutchfield.com which he is letting up to me if i want to use or not. Thoughts?

Any input would be greatly appreciated, i am more than willing to listen to constructive criticism.

the jvc headunit should do what you want, but with both of my jvcs the display is a ***** to see during the say.

cant comment on the components to much as I've never heard of/used them.

id get a little better of a sub that lanzar won't handle 1000 watts ever. get a sub that is rated about 600 watts so you can use your amp to its fullest.

If he gets a good discount then go withr that sub. Although the sub link didn't work for me. The speakers....I don't know much about fusion but some guys kn gere have run them. I only looked for a second but appearance wise they don't look too bad either way. See what other speakers he can get a good deal on. Lanzar has some nice speakers in thd opti line but you will need a 4ch amp with them. PM me the correct link to the subwoofer. Sorry for any mistakes im on my phone

Ok I just looked and for a subwoofer you definitely do not want that lanzar. That is like a pro audio speaker meaning it plays from lets say 35hz all the way to 4,500hz. You want a real subwoofer man. You want to go cheap then get a lanzar max 10" they are on partsedpress also for like $50. That is hinestly a awesome budget sub

I'm not necessarily looking to go cheap. I am expecting around 500-600 bucks with what i currently am looking at but am willing to go higher (lets say 1000 max) if it means a significant increase in quality. I am just tired of the muddy bass that my current L7 produces, i want something much more clean and accurate.

Edit: If anyone has any sub they would suggest in place of the lanzar i'm very interested in seeing other options.

For that price I wouldn't get those components. Get a set of pioneer tsd1720c's. There are about 15-20 bucks more but worth it. Best set under $100. I would get a different sub also. Maybe one of the new alpine type s subs. They sound great and are like $80. They have an underhung motor design and would do great for rock. I wouldn't trust the lanzar either.

Also what is your budget?

Utilize the L7. Build a box designed for it to sound good and it will. Put the money saved into nicer components. As for the deck, I highly recommend Excelon units. Inexpensive, and extraordinarily clean signal output from the rca's.

Utilize the L7. Build a box designed for it to sound good and it will. Put the money saved into nicer components. As for the deck, I highly recommend Excelon units. Inexpensive, and extraordinarily clean signal output from the rca's.
X2, in a properly built enclosure crossed over fairly low, the L7 can be a great performer. The only downside is it generally has to be crossed over at or below 60 Hz, which would mean the OP needs some decent components to pick up 60 Hz on up. Sadly, it wasn't until I ditched my L5 and L7s that I heard a setup with a properly implemented L7. To my shock, it sounded great with no muddy bass BUT it was crossed over very low.

Keep the l7, i would say tune around 40 hz since you dont listen to rap or anything low, also the 6.5s that were recomended look cheap, i would get something else, maybe Focal, pioneer, or some other decent brand that will perform well (hertz Audio JL audio also).a pioneer head unit if possible or kenwood.. maybe even alpine.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.