Help with High Pass Frequency, Low Pass......Searched and still confused.

Participant count
  • Participants list
Hello Forum:

I’ve searched high and low and although there is a ton of information, it’s still confusing me…….I cannot seem to get my stereo to sound “Right”. I’ve played with all of the settings and once I’ve got something I’m cool with, I’ll come into the car again and something sounds off……

Here is my info:

• 2010 Mazda 5

• Pioneer x6600bs

• Polk Audio DB571 5-by-7 in the front of the car

• Stock Speakers Rear

• 10” Rockford Fosgate P2 Sub in a sealed box

• Lightning Audio Amp (B2.300.4)

o Speakers are on front Channel

o Sub is bridged to the rear (Sub Preout on deck)

o Reading : Lightning Audio B2.300.4 User Manual | AZUserManuals.com

Anyways, I have no idea on how to set the High Pass Frequency on the new deck…..or what to set the Sub too. I’m also not sure if I should use the preset equalizer mode (Super Bass, Vocal, Powerful etc.)

I’ve tried 2 different scenario’s:

#1. I set the EQ to flat and set the High Pass Frequency to 125 with a 12 slope (I believe that’s what it’s called). This allowed the speakers to not have a ton of bass in the front and the sub handled the rest (Although I’m not sure on how to handle that)

#2- HPF all the way off and go with the “Custom” EQ and adjust each frequency by ear 80 Hz, 125 Hz, 165 Hz etc.).

I don’t have any fancy equipment…..I just want a good baseline for something to start with or at least a simple explanation of it all…….

Thanks

I would start at 80 Hz high and low pass...if the fronts break up because of bass,raise it to the next setting. Then adjust the eq to the sound you want.

Use the custom and not the powerful etc....those usually don't sound that great.

My personaly experience with head units has been that if they have a ton of options for sound, and especially if they seem to have 2-3 different sub-menus for one particular range (sub, mid or high) they are not easy and maybe even impossible to shut the EQ off.

I run my stock unit (which has 3.5mm input so it's all I need) with a line driver. The settings on the unit are all flat. I have a crossover and a sub amp going off the line driver, so all my settings are adjusted from the crossover/sub amp.

I tried a this pioneer DEH-P500UB, and it did not sound the same at all. Both in louness and in sound quality. This unit has a lot of audio settings and options, and I beleive it's because of this reason that it's very difficult to set them correctly. Which options affect other options, and how? I could never figure it out, so I went back to the stock unit.

Now from what I've heard, most stock units are garbage. I just happen to have a decent one, apparently.

You could run a cord from your device, directly into the amplifier via 3.5mm to RCA cable, if you don't really listen to the radio or CDs' (I sure as hell don't). I would be willing to bet that if you at least tried doing this to compare the difference, it would be like night and day. (this would prove my theory that aftermarket head units with a lot of options are hard to setup and possibly have some options that can't be turned off)

Another thing: that unit is not active capable, from what I can tell. At this point, I'm not sure why head units even have crossover settings, if they don't do anything, which is the impression I get from "Active capable" units. I do notice that they will slightly change the sound of stock speakers or 2-ways, or when you use the speaker outputs on a head unit anyway. They might be hindering the amplifiers' crossover settings, too.

I would start at 80 Hz high and low pass...if the fronts break up because of bass,raise it to the next setting. Then adjust the eq to the sound you want.Use the custom and not the powerful etc....those usually don't sound that great.
Okay so 80 on the high pass. ....what slope 12 or 24. What does that mean?

As far as sub control.....i have volume. (+6 or -12). Again 50 hz, 60 hz, 80, 120, 165 and 200 plus the 12 or 24 option. .....is this the low pass filter?

This is all the deck.....havent ev3n touched the amp yet

lpf = 80

hpf = 80

adjust gains on the amp correctly, use the flat eq on the deck then adjust the filters from there. set your sub volume to the highest on the deck then set the gain on the amp.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.