gain remote gain and line driver

Participant count
  • Participant list

ughhibye
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Howdy btw im matt i dont have a email so my cousins wife let me log in on his account.

my setup is the following

deck pioneer AVH-P1400DVD 2v output

Eq i like the knobs to adjust Power Acoustik PWM-70 up to 8v out

subs are 3 15inch powerbass es15 dual 2's

sub amp is a power acoustik 5500d

mids are 2 sets kenwood componets

mids amp is a Power Acoustik REP4-900

Does it matter that the eq is driving up to 8v? and the amps are only 5v?

Setting gains i figured like this

increase knob on eq until it reads 5v. then increase gains until they clip then back off a 1/8-1/4 turn?

also i would like to do a remote gain for the sup amp that way i can hide it and turn it way down if some one else will be driving would that be ok?

What I found to be the case with my remote knob, on a soundstream TA1.2000D, is that once you set your gains on the amp, the remote allows gain to be turned down and up to only as high as gains are set on the amp itself. This way, the gain cannot be turned up higher than it is set at the amp remotely.

I have seen only a few remotes with both remote gain, and remote boost. This could be handy, as regardless of the blanket statements of "never use bass boost", there is a time and place for it. They are not engineered into the architecture of the amps to never be used.

BAMF5500/1D - BAMF - Amplifiers - Products

If that is your amp, it would take a common phone line type remote.

power bass knob | eBay

regardless of the blanket statements of "never use bass boost", there is a time and place for it. They are not engineered into the architecture of the amps to never be used.
Aren't nearly all bass boost knobs set at 45hz? The way I see it, they did this for general consumers who don't even know what 30hz is, and because most generic songs are around 45hz anyway.

Not to mention, some vehicles simply don't respond well to high frequencies (my vehicle peaks at 41hz, but anything above 38hz seems too high for me personally, and it seems to just rattle everything and make a humming sound, and when I got a new vehicle, it killed 3 subs (all under warranty, luckily) because apparently, it was unloading the sub or something...so for me, 45hz bass boost knob is 100% useless)

An adjustable frequency for bass boost would be useful though. 30-45hz maybe?

And the reason everyone says bass boost is bad and to never use it, is because it's going to clip the subs unless you know exactly how much headroom you have in a song to boost at that frequency. Example: if you open up audacity and boost 45hz 3, 5 or even 7db, I'm almost certain it's going to clip the signal. And don't most bass boost knobs boost up to +12db?

Aren't nearly all bass boost knobs set at 45hz? The way I see it, they did this for general consumers who don't even know what 30hz is, and because most generic songs are around 45hz anyway.
I can only speak for my Bass Knob -- It isn't called a "bass boost".. But when I turn it all the way down NOTHING comes from the sub.. all power is cut at all frequencies going to that sub channel,.. So it's not just one frequency, it could only be a gain remote of some sort.. or some serious attenuation of all frequencies, which has the same effect as a gain adjustment knob.

This is on a PPI 900.5 Amp,.. Maybe I got lucky with the architecture of this amp and the remote knob,.. Any "bass boost/enhancement" I have would be through my headunit.. which I don't use,.. I use Level increases in the headunit to get the full voltage from the pre-outs on the Sub channel.. but other than that there's no "boost" at X frequency going on.

I believe I have my Rears and fronts tuned at 80hz Highpass.. and Sub at 80hz lowpass.. (I may have it a little different for a touch of overlap.. but I can't recall specifics off hand).

But a Bass knobs with a frequency selector on one end, and the "gain" on the other for the frequency you have selected would be VERY handy for tuning.. Then a setting on the knob to "all" where it would simply gain up and down all the frequencies you have your low pass set to allow for your sub. But, With my amp's hpf and lpf (bandpass) and the Headunit also having triple crossovers (for Front, Rears, and Sub) I have sort of a "double protection" going on.. with the precise X-over points dialed in the amp,.. and the general ones for safeguards on the headunit, as I noticed my headunit doesn't attenuate nearly as much as the amp as it approaches the cutoff frequencies.

I can only speak for my Bass Knob -- It isn't called a "bass boost".. But when I turn it all the way down NOTHING comes from the sub.. all power is cut at all frequencies going to that sub channel,.. So it's not just one frequency, it could only be a gain remote of some sort.. or some serious attenuation of all frequencies, which has the same effect as a gain adjustment knob.
This is on a PPI 900.5 Amp,.. Maybe I got lucky with the architecture of this amp and the remote knob,.. Any "bass boost/enhancement" I have would be through my headunit.. which I don't use,.. I use Level increases in the headunit to get the full voltage from the pre-outs on the Sub channel.. but other than that there's no "boost" at X frequency going on.

I believe I have my Rears and fronts tuned at 80hz Highpass.. and Sub at 80hz lowpass.. (I may have it a little different for a touch of overlap.. but I can't recall specifics off hand).

But a Bass knobs with a frequency selector on one end, and the "gain" on the other for the frequency you have selected would be VERY handy for tuning.. Then a setting on the knob to "all" where it would simply gain up and down all the frequencies you have your low pass set to allow for your sub. But, With my amp's hpf and lpf (bandpass) and the Headunit also having triple crossovers (for Front, Rears, and Sub) I have sort of a "double protection" going on.. with the precise X-over points dialed in the amp,.. and the general ones for safeguards on the headunit, as I noticed my headunit doesn't attenuate nearly as much as the amp as it approaches the cutoff frequencies.
I just looked at pictures of your amp, and it doesn't have a "Bass Boost" on it. I am sure you understand how an equalizer works. Bass boost would amount to having a sliding potentiometer for the 45HZ frequency that would slide up to say +6, or -6, with 0 in the middle. Once you have slid above 0, you are boosting a particular frequency. There are cases where this can be useful, and some it can be harmful. I don't use mine in my current setup, but I might use it in another.

I see a lot of, "Never use", the this or thats in here. I seriously doubt that the engineers that have been designing these devices for so many decades are accidentally adding bass boost and remote knobs in every single brand of car audio amplifiers. It is a surefire indicator that someone doesn't know what they are talking about.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.