rear windshield falling apart... Any suggestions?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Jeffdachef
5,000+ posts

Gunz That Turn on Nunz
So for the past months that I've had my Zcon everything is fine and dandy, no rattles just pure straight up bass and it was cool.

Recent weeks however, i'm getting a crazy rattle and losing some loudness from that rattle. I pressed down everything from rear deck to crawling in my trunk(ouch) to pinpoint the location.

I know for sure its the rear windshield making the rattle. When i push up from the inside it stops the rattle and when its pushed down from the outside, its stops the rattle. and its not hitting the tail light or rear deck, its actually shaking off at the top where it connects to the roof, the noise is clearly concentrated at that area.

I've tried adding some deadener at the joints where they connect but no luck. My car's just old and falling apart, can only handle windshield flex for so long before something goes wrong... I've heard about bracing but would like to use that as a last resort... next to redoing the whole windshield.

So for the past months that I've had my Zcon everything is fine and dandy, no rattles just pure straight up bass and it was cool.
Recent weeks however, i'm getting a crazy rattle and losing some loudness from that rattle. I pressed down everything from rear deck to crawling in my trunk(ouch) to pinpoint the location.

I know for sure its the rear windshield making the rattle. When i push up from the inside it stops the rattle and when its pushed down from the outside, its stops the rattle. and its not hitting the tail light or rear deck, its actually shaking off at the top where it connects to the roof, the noise is clearly concentrated at that area.

I've tried adding some deadener at the joints where they connect but no luck. My car's just old and falling apart, can only handle windshield flex for so long before something goes wrong... I've heard about bracing but would like to use that as a last resort... next to redoing the whole windshield.
If u plan on keeping the car just get a glass company to reseal it

If you're comfortable with doing it and not too worried about cosmetics, you can buy a tube of automotive urethane and reseal the back glass yourself. You won't have to take it out but you will have to be able to get a caulk gun in a position so that you can get the tip of the tube into the gap between the glass and the body of the car. Just be sure to clean the surfaces well before doing it and you'll be fine.

Also, if you get automotive urethane on the headliner or any other cloth it will be there forever. And if you get it on your body, it will be there for almost forever, give or take a few days.

Lastly, cars only have one windshield and it's in the front. The others are door glass, quarter glass and back glass. ;-)

Pics, we need pics. I would try putting some kind of brace from the bottom of the trunk to the rear deck to kind of push up on the rear windshield maybe that would help? what kind of a car do you have? I know on my hatchback I had the same problem and everytime I would push on the glass it would stop. It ended up being the rear wiper motor assembly

If you are with geico you can sign up for glass repair for $5 a month. Chip your glass and they'll repair it for free as many times as you need. Once they repair it, it's guaranteed there on, so if it rattles loose again it is "workmanship" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.

If you are with geico you can sign up for glass repair for $5 a month. Chip your glass and they'll repair it for free as many times as you need. Once they repair it, it's guaranteed there on, so if it rattles loose again it is "workmanship" //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/wink.gif.608e3ea05f1a9f98611af0861652f8fb.gif.
Thats pretty cool, i'll see if my insurance coverage has something similar.

If you're comfortable with doing it and not too worried about cosmetics, you can buy a tube of automotive urethane and reseal the back glass yourself. You won't have to take it out but you will have to be able to get a caulk gun in a position so that you can get the tip of the tube into the gap between the glass and the body of the car. Just be sure to clean the surfaces well before doing it and you'll be fine.
Also, if you get automotive urethane on the headliner or any other cloth it will be there forever. And if you get it on your body, it will be there for almost forever, give or take a few days.

Lastly, cars only have one windshield and it's in the front. The others are door glass, quarter glass and back glass. ;-)
Thanks! will definitely try this!

thanks @bbeljefe ; the solution worked no more annoying rattle! I also realized i need to swap out my enclosure for my Zcon, it was peaking a little bit close to my car's peak frequency making a lot of nuts, bolts, windshields etc.. coming loose. Gonna switch back to ported and try for lower tuning and an amp upgrade in the future.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.