Recomended 10" subs for tiny sealed box... Inverted mount...

Impalow

So in the back of my impala's molded trunk i have a tiny-tiny sub box for 2-10's to be mounted inverted. Kind of downward firing setup. Each box is roughly 11" x 11" and is a small wedge in height maybe 6" at the back maybe 2" and the front.

Obviously looks were the main focus and sound was far from being a main concern. I have had (2) JVC WG1000 subs inverted mounted for years and they sound pretty awful, not punchy, kinda blah muffled sounding. They were mainly picked for the cool cast baskets at the time, they require 1 cube sealed, I realize the box is no where near that.

Since I have invested recently in the rest of the sound system, now is the time to get some new subs. I am going for a SQ type system, just looking for some nice punchy clean bass. I have an Infinity Kappa One amp powering them 800x1@2ohms. Looking for some recommendations for this less than ideal situation in the $100-$175.00 each range, cool looking baskets are a plus. Just want something that is going to sound better and have some kick.

Thanks guys,

-e

You thinking the Infinfty Kappa's or the Reference? The Kappas were one of my first thoughts, but i'm not sure how they will perform in that little airspace.

Originally i was thinking about the Pioneer Shallow mounts because they look very unusual inverted mounted. but i have seen a lot of negative reviews on them so im scared away from them.

Not familiar with the diamond audios, ill look into them.

Researching last night i found the re S-EX 10's they seem to have very low space requirements, not sure if they will fit without the motors hitting my trunk lid. The Wg1000 were 4.88" deep and the RE's are over 6".

Some in progress photos to better illustrate my issue..

130D7A4A-CCC4-45BB-8E3A-F1BFAA6E24B0.jpg

5BB61328-AF62-4533-A200-BB4455B3FA8F.jpg

33AF1BFC-1CE7-4951-8436-D3B85D4C2146.jpg

Thank you for your help, please let me know if there are any others I should be considering.

Is that a port?

I assume that is a sealed enclosure there, and I'd probably recommend running two beefy 8s sealed in that little space. But if you want to know which 10s have good performance in small sealed boxes and have less than 4.88 inches of mounting depth inverted I'd say sundown SD-10s all the way. Though again the SD-8s would probably even better if you could find a way to secure a 8" inner diameter ring into there without sacrificing more mounting space.

Yeah it is a sealed box... I have thought about the SD-10's and i like them, and sundown has a great reputation here. I'm not familiar with the elemental designs, let me know the model, and I can look into them. As for the power, I will eventually upgrade from the kappa one, sadly I shelled out the money for it before I became a member here. So I am going to keep it for awhile.

Still need to check the clearance on the RE's

Thanks Guys!

crazy question but since you invert mount your subs - did you have them wired up in reverse from amp + to sub - so they still hit out like they would if not inverted ?
In hindsight after reading.... Yes, I should have had them reversed phase.... I haven't to this point.

Anyone with knowledge of these TC epic 10?

i have never in my life heard of anyone having a tc sounds sub and saying it ****** and they hated it.

lol

im building my trunk right now for a quad voice coil 06ish tc sounds 3k 12" going sealed @1.33 ohms on a saz1500 it should rock my socks off i hope but still be musicly acurate ( i hate muddy bass or any distortion sounds / as well as rattles )

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.