Massive voltage drop even with 310A alternator!!

gamehawk55
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Hey guys so I just got my HO alternator in. It's a 6 phase 310A (180A idle) build from Mike over at Singer. But I am still having massive voltage drop issues while only running 1500W or less to my subs.

I'm running 2 SA-8v2 D2 off an RF T2500-1BDCP (tuned accordingly).

Stock battery 1 year old (yes I've tried a brand new one and it made 0 difference)

0 Gauge Shok industries reference series CCA wire for main run to rear and BIG 3

All my grounds are 0 gauge and measure 0.3-0.4ohms (can't seem to get any better than that)

I'm going to link a video from my dropbox of just how bad the drop is. On this amp the voltage gauge is on the right and when the needle drops to center that is 12.5-12.8v and yes it's accurate. Something is SEVERELY wrong because there is no way I should be seeing this bad of drop on 1500W with these upgrades to my electrical.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/oq163tpbi8ymenh/Voltage%20Drop.mp4

"tuned accordingly" lol
how was it tuned?
With a DMM using a -3db 40hz test tone off the SMD DD1 CD. I've been running these subs on this amp for quite a while now, and if they were getting anywhere near the full power of that amp they would have blown a long time ago.

i've run 1500 watts on a 85 amp alt so you might wanna take your alt and get it checked.
It's not the alt. I had these voltage problems since before the new alt. They've gotten slightly better since the new one but should still not be seeing drops like this. I've seen people with stock electrical running 2000W and not seeing drops like this.

I should also note I only seem to be seeing this bad of drop at the amp itself. I did a test the other day with a 40hz tone at full tilt and the voltage on a DMM at the battery didn't go below 14.1-14.3v but the meter on the amp was sitting at 12.5-12.8v

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Replace the fuses and check again. Half blown fuses can do this sort of thing
Fuse under the hood is a 300A from knukonceptz and is maybe 2 months old if that.

could it be your voltage regulator not doing its job properly?

The thing is, I noticed severe (red zone) voltage drop in your video only when drums hits played. This is usually because they are recorded at much higher amplitude. You may be pulling 1500watts on a bass line recorded -3db or lower, but when a drum hits and it is recorded at double the amplitude, that's 3000watts.

play some songs that have non stop synthetic bass. play some gucci mane at full tilt.

nevermind I see you did a full tilt 40hz blast. I don't know what to tell you....

I should also note I only seem to be seeing this bad of drop at the amp itself. I did a test the other day with a 40hz tone at full tilt and the voltage on a DMM at the battery didn't go below 14.1-14.3v but the meter on the amp was sitting at 12.5-12.8v 

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Fuse under the hood is a 300A from knukonceptz and is maybe 2 months old if that.
Bingo!! the answer is in your wiring your losing power through your wire. Upgrade wiring to the amp and it should be much better. Also like said previously fuses can cause this too

is there a fuse in there right before the amp? if so change it. if that doesnt work then change the entire fuse block. i had this problem and it turned out to be the fuse block it self. So i removed it all together and never had this issue anymore. I still dont run fuses lulz. no i dont recommend you do this but i do it lulz

---------- Post added at 12:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:42 AM ----------

Bingo!! the answer is in your wiring your losing power through your wire. Upgrade wiring to the amp and it should be much better. Also like said previously fuses can cause this too
i dont think its his wire... i think its his fuse or the holder

could it be your voltage regulator not doing its job properly?
The thing is' date=' I noticed severe (red zone) voltage drop in your video only when drums hits played. This is usually because they are recorded at much higher amplitude. You may be pulling 1500watts on a bass line recorded -3db or lower, but when a drum hits and it is recorded at double the amplitude, that's 3000watts.

play some songs that have non stop synthetic bass. play some gucci mane at full tilt.

nevermind I see you did a full tilt 40hz blast. I don't know what to tell you....[/quote']

I somehow doubt that I'm hitting 3000W on those bass hits. And yeah while synthetic bass and burps are a little more stable they still drop pretty hard but only at the amp. Seems to be quite the difference from front to back.

It's very simple your losing voltage from point A to point B Improve your grounds/grounding points, maybe add another run, and this should solve your issue.

It's very simple your losing voltage from point A to point B Improve your grounds/grounding points, maybe add another run, and this should solve your issue.
But I've already got 5250 count 0 gauge going from front to back....surely 1500W shouldn't show drops like that through that kind of cable?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.