Is my amp fried?

lnsomnia

Senior VIP Member
Hey guys! So I've had a set of Infinity Primus PR6500cs for about a month or so now and they are being powered by an Infinity Reference 475a amp.

To make a long story short... I was giving a family member a demo of my car. I had the volume up at full tilt and he wanted to hear how much the sound bled through the outside of my car to see how loud it was from the outside. I was curious as well, so I stepped out with him.

On the way out of the car, my elbow must have slipped on the lock and I locked the doors; resulting in us being locked out of my car... With everything at full tilt.

It took half an hour before my uncle was able to grab my set of spare keys since I wasn't parked anywhere near my house.

My subs seemed to have been fine the entire time, but my Infinity amp for the front stage went into protect and my tweeters started smoking. That was exciting. At that point I figured my front stage was done for.

I let everything cool down over night, and checked it out this morning. The amp still turns on and doesn't go in to protection but my speakers up front are definitely done for.

Crutchfield is sending me a replacement set (thankfully), but I would like to make sure that my amp will still be able to power the replacement set. Like I said, It still powers on; no protection LED or anything, but my front stage is definitely a no go.

what kind of dumb ass car is this?

Most cars with the keys in the ignition will NOT allow you to lock the doors with the doors open. This way you don't lock your keys inside the car.

Most cars with the keys in the ignition will NOT allow you to lock the doors with the doors open. This way you don't lock your keys inside the car.
You haven't lived until you've locked your keys in a car with the engine running. That feature you speak of isn't as common as you think.

You haven't lived until you've locked your keys in a car with the engine running. That feature you speak of isn't as common as you think.
What ever it *****, yea my car will lock me out with keys in ignition.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only way to know for sure is to test it...got a spare speaker you could hook up to it?
So I forgot I had another set of the exact same speakers I already had. I got them for my uncle but he never hooked them up.

For whatever reason the Front Left speaker (FL) input on amp is not working... The Front Right input works fine however. I tried hooking up the left doors to the Front Right input and they worked fine. Same goes for left door speakers. So for now, I have both the Front left AND the Front right speakers going in to the Front Right input on the amp. Seems to be the only way I can get both sides of my car working. I don't think it sounds the same as far as quality goes though... I may need to get a new amp?

For whatever reason the Front Left speaker (FL) input on amp is not working... The Front Right input works fine however. I tried hooking up the left doors to the Front Right input and they worked fine. Same goes for left door speakers. So for now, I have both the Front left AND the Front right speakers going in to the Front Right input on the amp. Seems to be the only way I can get both sides of my car working. I don't think it sounds the same as far as quality goes though... I may need to get a new amp?
What you're hearing is mono sound, and it doesn't sound good. The amp should be fixed or replaced.

So I forgot I had another set of the exact same speakers I already had. I got them for my uncle but he never hooked them up.
Yeah, sounds like you burned up one of the channels unfortunately...

Yeah, sounds like you burned up one of the channels unfortunately...
Crutchfield is sending me a replacement amp. //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif All is good. Too bad I don't have the patience for it to get here. I hate the way my front stage sounds right now. Bleh.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.