Subs aren't hitting like they should... Please Help

So Friday I installed my subs, my first setup, into my 06 Mazda 3 Hatch. The setup I have is 2 Alpine Type S 12" Subs (the 2ohm model) which rms at 500w each, an alpine mrx-m110 that has 1100w rms @ 2ohms, a sealed enclosure, and a Pioneer AVH-x2600bt HU. I wired the subs at 2ohms and planned on running 500w to each sub. I used the formula of Square Root of Wattage times Ohms and got my voltage of 44.7 V. I downloaded a 50Hz @ 0db and 360kb onto my ipod because it is my main source of listening.

On he HU I; turned to about 3/4 volume (27 of 40), set the the SW to on, turned the SW Level to max, SW phase to regular, SW cut off frequency to 100hz as a starting point, and then in the main audio setting set the HPF to 100hz as a starting point (I'm not sure if thats the proper way but I thought so). other setting like loudness and bass boost were set to 0. On the 8 Band EQ I set all 40-200hz to max (12db) for tuning and the everything above to -12db just to make sure I was tuning specifically bass. I know 200hz is above but the bands jump from 40 to 80 to 200 so I included it because it contains the 100hz tone.

On the amp; I set Bass EQ to 0, Subsonic Filter to I think 15hz to just be safe even though I'm a sealed enclosure, LP Filter to about 100hz (jumps from 80 to 120 so I set it in the middle), and Gain to Min.

I removed my sub speaker wire from the amp and plugged my multimeter in to the terminals. I turned on my car and plugged in my ipod. Now with how I had my HU set I was assuming that my 4 door speakers (all stock, no amp just HU power) would not play the 50hz tone... but sure enough the tone came out of them and it sounded absolutely annoying, but I continued on and tuned turned up the gain on the amp until my multimeter (on AC) read 43.5 V just to be safe. Turned the car off, put my sub speaker wires back in and turned it on. I was really surprised at the lack of bass and how hard the subs hit. I mean they were there but nowhere near what I'm expecting them to be. They don't hit anywhere near my brothers entry level Kicker 12s with an entry level kenwood amp and I know for a fact he can't be running more than 500w total to the subs in a sealed box. They also come no where near my cousins 2 Kenwood KFC XW12s and Alpine MRX-M100 running 800W also in a sealed box. So I'm really confused. I'm almost positive the subs are in phase, because they do hit noticeably, but just not as much as I know they should. I have a feeling its because of the 50hz tone going through to the door speakers while I tuned the amp but maybe not... I'm still totally a newb, and just looking for some help. Sorry for such a long post, just wanted to give you as much detail and info as I could. Thanks!

Eli

I just thought about that, thanks!

Still would appreciate more input and other ideas (I know, it's been 10 minutes //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/laugh.gif.48439b2acf2cfca21620f01e7f77d1e4.gif )

Also confused as to why my door speakers played any noise when I ran a 50hz tone...? So I guess that's a secondary question of mine //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

Set the gains with your music. That tone is more powerful than the bass in your songs.
I agree with this.

Play the tone at 3/4 volume, then play some bass heavy music at 3/4 volume. Id be wiling to bet the tone is way louder and hitting way harder. I would just set it by ear, thought that might not be the best thing if you don't know what to listen for.

you know something, my friend has the 12 inch type S sub (same one you got but 4 ohm version) along with the alpine mrp m500 amp and it doesnt hit hard, i know that it because of his headunit though he has a reallyyyyyyyyy old panasonic double din radio

Any advice? I'm confused as to what I should do? I don't have an oscope available to me. I know they should be able to hit harder, I'm just trying to figure out what I should do. I've thought about using a -3db tuning tone. And also tuning with the subs plugged in. When I originally tuned with my 50hz tone, I had my hu hpf set but sound to still went out to the door speakers... One I don't think that's normal and two could it have affected the tuning?

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.