Tat2bass' build log

Participant count
  • Participant list

tat2bass
10+ year member

CarAudio.com Elite
Cali
So I am finally getting around to doing it. The part I am most proid of with my build, is that I have not paid for anything. Everything has come by way or trading or selling or as payment for doing installs. So nothing has actually com out of my pocket.

Car- 2012 Toyota Prius C (I know it's a ****** car, but I drive 150 miles a day round trip out of pocket. I had a 2013 Ford cMax but had to trade it in because it was only getting about 32 mpg instead of the 47 advertised)

Head unit- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_63988_Pioneer-DEH-X9500BHS.html

Front speakers- Tweeters and crossoversAlpine SPX-17PRO (spx17pro) 6.5" 2-Way Type-X Component Car Audio

Mids- http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_43386_Rockford-Fosgate-PPS4-6.html

Rear- None

Highs amp- Rockford P-400X.4 400 Watt Punch Four Chan Stereo Bridgeable Car Amp

Sub Amp- not decided yet. Only gonna run about 700 w or so

Sub- Alpine SWR8D4 8" Dual 4-Ohm Type R Series Car Subwoofer

So I am going mainly for SQ here. But it will still be pretty **** loud. Not crazy bass, but I'm a metal man and would rather hear every detail than ridiculous amounts of bass.

A LOT of sound deadener will be going into this little car. They come with nothing from the factory. So I have 80sq feet of AT 60 mil already and will be getting another 40 of the nvx 80 mil. Most everything will be done this coming week. I had a discectomy last week so I'm out of work for a while. Probably shouldn't be doing this but I'll be taking it easy. I'm going stir crazy already and this way I can completely tear the car down and do everything the right way all I one fell swoop.

Last edited by a moderator:
image_zps8e8a00af.jpg

And all done. I used duct tape to seal the hole up first and then applied the deadener over that.

image_zpsd0bb7b84.jpg

It work out perfect that I could take apart the stock speaker and use it for the new. It works perfect for 3 reasons

1. The speaker for perfectly inside of it and is sealed perfect to the "adapter"

2. With it having a neo motor it has a much more shallow depth so the water guard for the stock speaker also covers the new mid bass so I don't have to make anything myself.

3. The one good thing Toyota did was make the speaker actually seal to the door card behind the grill. So I don't have to worry about any sound waves or reverberations getting behind the door card. With the new speaker it also flushes against it perfect.

image_zps88e22367.jpg

image_zps9b522f57.jpg

image_zpsd4f2353c.jpg

That's it for now. Like I said, everything else should be coming in over the next couple days so I will be updating as I go. I will be stripping the car completely down starting tomorrow.

Luckily to, the battery is under the back passenger seat so I have short power runs and everything stays within the can

So today I got my a pillars done and my mids wired up and ready to be installed. The connections for the tweets were soldered. My first attempt at it on my own. Feel i did a pretty decent job on it.

So after I mounted them flush, I wired it up and taped along the back side to be sure that there is no pressure being applied where the wire actually connects to the tweeter.

I started by using a jigsaw and cutting out the holes and finished the holes with my dremel to get the just right. After I mounted the cup in I used a hot glue gun and glued the inside so they won't move.

Pics

image_zpsdf6a4c79.jpg

image_zpsf1701706.jpg

image_zpsd9bfbf69.jpg

image_zps4e562aa8.jpg

This is the speaker wire I am using. Amazing stuff and very well shielded. Hard to see but the pic on the roll shows all the layers

image_zpsb463faee.jpg

My soldering. Again, my first attempt on my own.

image_zps2b9a20ec.jpg

Everything has been soldered and heat shrunk.

image_zps7c3e235c.jpg

Here is what it looks like from the front of the car

image_zps9e7dbd61.jpg

The crossovers will be mounted upside down in my glove box. This way all of my wires for my mids and tweets will stay under the front dash and only have to run the two wires back to the amp.

image_zpsdee85775.jpg

Pic so the back of the a pillar and how it looks from my seat.

image_zps4878e44f.jpg

image_zpsbb827fde.jpg

Pic of the mid all soldered and heat shrunk as well

image_zps7bbaa1de.jpg

image_zps60426212.jpg

Tomorrow I will be pulling out the seats and finish my passenger door deadening and the floor. Just waiting on my new headunit, amp and amp kit to come in throughout the week also

Nice job on those pillars, after seeing what you did with a dremel and jig saw I think I may give it a shot in my girls car. Her tweets are in the door panels facing towards the headliner. Doesnt sound to pleasant.

Nice job on those pillars, after seeing what you did with a dremel and jig saw I think I may give it a shot in my girls car. Her tweets are in the door panels facing towards the headliner. Doesnt sound to pleasant.
It's pretty easy. I made the big cut with the jigsaw and then just took my time with the sander on my dremel. Sand a little and then hold up the tweet mount and sand a little more. The plastic actually cuts very easily.

Depends on the tweets too. Mine have great off axis response so I can get away with them being there

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.