Melted Fuse Holder?

Participant count
  • Participant list

oTurtlez
10+ year member

So I went to add a second run of 1/0 to the back for my new battery install, and when I took off the cover to my fuse holder in order to remove the fuse, it appears that the side closest to the battery got hot enough to melt through the fuse holder. It was mounted to the top of my battery box, so it couldn't have gotten that hot there, the 300A fuse didn't pop, so I doubt it was a short, regardless, it was a covered fuse holder zip tied to a plastic battery box, nothing to short to. The other side was completely fine, so I'm stumped. Ideas?

EDIT: Wire is Audiotechnix 1/0 OFC and fuse holder was the clear Audiotechnix one.

loose connections cause resistance which causes heat (because resistance is a load). melted fuse holders are usually a result of connection resistance. solution: clean terminals and surfaces to minimize resistance.

Not much I can add to kha's post, except that it could be a fuse problem as well. It's very unlikely but fuses can become burnt but not opened and that can cause a point of resistance, so if your connections were tight at the fuse holder and the crimp/solder connection was clean, I would change the fuse or, at least, check it with a multimeter.

Also, if you crimped the lugs with a percussion style crimper, pliers or if they're the set screw style, there's a good chance that they're corroded inside even though they may look fine.

Im betting that is was a loose connection battery side. I tightened it all back up again and ill have to watch it for now. All lugs were soldered on, just must not have tightened as much as I thought when I was installing. Thanks guys!

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.