Tube Watts vs. Solid-state Watts

Participant count
  • Participant list

gckless
5,000+ posts

CarAudio.com Veteran
San Antonio
Why are tube watts seemingly louder than solid-state watts?

It’s a common belief that tube amps are louder than solid state amps. I’ve seen little 30 watt tube amps blow away ginormous 100 watt solid state amps. This is not a myth, it’s a fact. Here’s why.

First, it must be pointed out that watts are watts. Tube wattage is not different from solid state wattage. It’s simply ohm’s law.

W = I2 x R

By any objective measure, 50 watts from a tube amp is identical to 50 watts from a solid state. "Watts" is a mathematical calculation of power consumption, not a measure of loudness. Loudness is measured in "decibels". Though higher watts does certainly mean higher volume, the only actual way to compare the volume output of any two amps is to measure the decibels they produce, for each amp, or type of amp, may have a different "efficiency". It's just like the fact that light bulbs are described per wattage, but the brightness of light is actually measure in "lumens". That's why a the new compact fluorescent light bulb listed as 15w (power consumed) puts out the same light as an old style 60w incandescent bulb (950 lumens).

So why do tube amps sound louder?

It comes down to two things. How the wattage of amps are rated and how tube amps clip/distort differently from solid state amps.

An amplifier’s wattage rating is not a measurement of its maximum output. The wattage of an amplifier is rated at its highest output without clipping.

Here’s a picture to show what clipping is:

View attachment 26546787

As the wattage is increased, the amplifier reaches a threshold where the highest outputs are clipped off. This clipping causes distortion.

The next part of the puzzle is this: tube amps clip different than solid state amps.

Tube amps clip gradually as the wattage is increased while solid state amps remain clean until they’re suddenly very clipped/distorted. In tube amps, this clipping is actually 3rd-order harmonic distortion (also some higher, and odd, order harmonics), and is very pleasing to our ears.

The gradual clipping of a tube amp adds to the flavor of an amp. A tube amp reacts to input, clipping a bit more with more input voltage, while remaining smooth with less input voltage. These subtle nuances add character to an amp's sound. The sudden massive clipping of a solid state simply sounds like poo. There are no subtle clipping nuances with a solid state amp, it’s either not clipped or fully clipped.

This is fundamentally why tube amps sound louder. Once clipping is reached, output power increases exponentially (to a point, and where that point is is different for solid state and tube amps). Ever notice how someone's sound system sounds so much louder when it's clipped? Well that's exactly what happens with tube amps, it's just the way they distort and clip are much different, it's pleasing to our ears and easier on loudspeakers. So if you turn up a solid state and a tube amp to 10, the solid state is pushing its full rated 50 watts, and probably sounds like poo because that harsh clipping would be starting while the tube amp would be pushing more than 50 watts. The tube amp would be clipping, but it would be that good sounding clipping.

It's also worth noting that most tube amps are of much higher quality than most solid-state amps. Of course this is a generalization, but most tube amps have higher quality components throughout the amp.

Also worth noting is that amplifier ratings aren't very useful because there is no standard for testing them. Tube amp ratings/specifications are generally more trustworthy because tube amp manufacturers usually have better intrumentation, and are more precise in measuring on purpose, for measuring amplifier output than their solid-state cousins. Ever notice how most consumers only care about wattage ratings when purchasing receivers? Those precise and specific measurements aren't necessary, so why spend the extra cash if it doesn't mean anything to most people? Multi-channel receivers are even worse because their ratings per channel are not valid for more than one channel being used at a time.

I should point out that I’m not arguing that tube amps are “better” than solid state amps. I’ve owned plenty of solid state amps in my life and only a few tube amps. And furthermore, objectively speaking, solid state amps are cleaner and are less prone to clipping. However, subjectively people like the sound and warmth of tube amps more, despite their objective faults. Well, that’s not right. People like the sound and warmth of tube amps more because of those faults. Plus they just look awesome //content.invisioncic.com/y282845/emoticons/smile.gif.1ebc41e1811405b213edfc4622c41e27.gif

As someone who was using a McIntosh MC275 2 channel tube amp and now runs a audiocontrol 7 Savoy SS, I'd have to agree. I've got the audiocontrol, which is a **** good amp, bi-amped to my B&W 803D's. So giving each channel 200rms compared to the Mac, which was doing 75rms per channel. The Audiocontrol obviously can make the B&W's get louder but you can hear when they start to sound like doodoo. Where as with the Mac I could crank it to near the maxed out volume I had set on the preamp and would sould a lot cleaner.

Good post gck

Interesting read. I have owned several tube amps, as well as many solid state ones. Saw that Peavey Valve King combo in your build log. I had the half stack Valve King, it was decent, but never really got the sound I was looking for out of it. I have also had an Ampeg SVT-7(or something) that had a tube pre-amp with a solid state power amp. I never really understood what made them react the way they did to different things. This also explains why tube amps don't sound that great at lower volumes.

Only thing tube amps need good tubes or they can sound crappy too, i say solid state over cheap tubes all day. And it also depends on the solid state circuitry too, because take SSL into consideration, their mixers are known for harmonic distortion without tubes. So really it comes down to the engineer(s) who is making it and the parts they use

Interesting read. I have owned several tube amps, as well as many solid state ones. Saw that Peavey Valve King combo in your build log. I had the half stack Valve King, it was decent, but never really got the sound I was looking for out of it. I have also had an Ampeg SVT-7(or something) that had a tube pre-amp with a solid state power amp. I never really understood what made them react the way they did to different things. This also explains why tube amps don't sound that great at lower volumes.
Yeah the VK isn't anything special with the stock tubes, but sounds pretty good if you throw some decent tubes in there. I've got Tung-sol preamp and Ruby 6L6 power tubes in there now, and I like it. And I don't think it's that they don't sound that great at lower volumes, it's just they sound much better and have that tube sound everyone expects when they are driven hard. And most of that sound comes from power tube compression and/or distortion. I had a Marshall hybrid at one point and couldn't really tell the difference except for the fact that I could see the single 12AX7 glowing.

Only thing tube amps need good tubes or they can sound crappy too, i say solid state over cheap tubes all day. And it also depends on the solid state circuitry too, because take SSL into consideration, their mixers are known for harmonic distortion without tubes. So really it comes down to the engineer(s) who is making it and the parts they use
Exactly. Fortunately tubes are relatively cheap, and they make a pretty big difference. But I would still take tube with cheap tubes over solid state. I will say though, I have never heard a solid state amp that performs or reacts the same as a tube amp, at least a guitar amp. In home theater, it can be done most likely, as you are not pushing the power tubes to the same extremes as you are in a guitar amp.

Yeah the VK isn't anything special with the stock tubes, but sounds pretty good if you throw some decent tubes in there. I've got Tung-sol preamp and Ruby 6L6 power tubes in there now, and I like it. And I don't think it's that they don't sound that great at lower volumes, it's just they sound much better and have that tube sound everyone expects when they are driven hard. And most of that sound comes from power tube compression and/or distortion. I had a Marshall hybrid at one point and couldn't really tell the difference except for the fact that I could see the single 12AX7 glowing.
I had Ruby's in mine as well. It's not a bad amp at all, and will get pretty dang loud. Just never could get the sound I wanted from it. I didn't mean to imply that tube amps don't sound good at lower volumes, just that they don't sound "that" good. That being as good as they do when driven harder. The Ampeg was great, it was much improved over the previous head I had. You could really tell a difference in the mid ranges. Now, it wasn't as nice as some of the all tube amps out there, but it beat the heck out of the GK backline heads.

I've head some of the Macintosh home theater amps and receivers. They sound clean at any level when the other got distorted. Granted that weren't on the Mac speakers so I guess that is the real difference. I would like to see someone test this with the only variable being the amps

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.