EQ app for subs? Subwoofer damage?

I know this is a car auido forum but this question pertains to a recent shelf system i have purchased. I have an app on my iphone called equalizer. It allows you to boost the bass up to 14db. Right when i recieved the shelf system of course i plug everything in, set the bass boost up to 14db and start banging the subs loud as phuk. I know that all subs have a certian hz range and youre not supposed to go outside of those boundries, but i have no clue what the range is for my subs. I started messing with different frequency, and found at about 60hz it was hitting the low notes very well, whenever i went below 60hz it didnt sound as loud so i decided to stick with 60hz. I didnt do any research on what hz range to use, db boost, etc. like i should have. So here we are a few days later and im noticing the subs seem to sound a bit sloppier compared to when i first got them, there is a shaking type noise within the subwoofers that i dont think was there before. Then again maybe nothing has changed and im just paranoid. Did i goof? Perhaps set the bass too high, wrong hz range or something like that? Are eq apps for subs a bad idea? Have i caused permanent damage to my subs? Any help is appriciated. The shelf system i purchased is called the Sony LBT-GPX55 if that helps.

Last edited by a moderator:
depends on what you were listening to - there can be noise in the recording. but yes, you can easily damage the system with your method.

you can also clip the output of the phone and cause noise - which is likely happening. back off on the EQ setting and keep the volume lower so you don't clip the output stage on the phone.

depends on what you were listening to - there can be noise in the recording. but yes, you can easily damage the system with your method.
you can also clip the output of the phone and cause noise - which is likely happening. back off on the EQ setting and keep the volume lower so you don't clip the output stage on the phone.
The only thing is the eq setting dramatically alters the output of the bass. Without it there is not much bass at all. Perhaps i can still use it but lower the gain? Is there a certain limit of gain i shouldn't surpass? What are the consequences if the gain is pushed past its boundaries? Ive heard about clipping, is that what has been taking place?

I would send a flat eq signal from the phone and let the eq on the stereo do its work. You want that original signal as clean as possible. If you have to use it, start at 0where and go up till you hear distortion and then back off a couple db. That should meep you safe. Use a heavy bass song to set that. And also keep the phone volume under 3/4 max.

What subs, car and amp are u using for all this.. 14db is a serious amount of gain. Almost 20x the power of.the tones.around it so wherever you boosted that 60hz was pushing the amp to its limits and beyond... Hence the broken subs.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.