hello everyone i have a few questions about enclosures.

Participant count
  • Participants list

bluegrafboy

Ok currently I have a pioneer 820 amp and Memphis 15" 1200watt max.

It is in a box that's 16"w X 16"H X 31"L. It is ported but I'm looking to upgrade my inclosure and amp/amps

What is the best material to make an enclosure out of?

Is ported or pvc aero ports better

I usually keep my Hz around 30-40 so how do I determine the size to make my ports.

I would like to get three more 15" memphis subs so what would be the best type of enclosure aka (pass by ported or just ported.

And my final question is.

I have seen many different enclosures and I have seen a couple inclosures with the subwoofer totally enclosed in the box does this do things or is it totally aesthetic?

search

For material, MDF is the best thing to use and if you're conscious of weight and have money to blow, Birch plywood is lighter and very dense too.

Aero (flared) ports are more efficient than straight edged ports whether they're round or not.

Thirty to 40Hz is quite the spread but regardless, there are a number of online calculators that will help you with tuning. Just query Google for "port calculator".

I have no idea what a bypass port is but if you could explain it a bit better, perhaps I can help. As for the "best" type of enclosure, that depends on your goals. However, the most efficient enclosure you can build is a ¼ wave transmission line.

Enclosures in which you cannot see the sub are called bandpass and they are not designed for appearance. They are designed to be very efficient in a specific (usually narrow) passband of frequencies. The cons to them are that they perform poorly outside their passband.

What kind of space do you have? Were are you putting the subs. Do you have a preference on which way the subs are facing? Whats the rms on them. Last thing i can think of is what kind of music will they be playing.

First off bbeljefe thank you for that plethera of information. Now for more information I have about 16 cubic feet to work with. I would like the deepest bass I can get. I have new Bose speakers in my vehicle and would like to get in to competitions eventually but what is holding me back is the knowledge. I want to have the loudest, purest sound. So whether I'm listening to it going down the road or showing it off to some friends people think it's loud and doesn't sound like ****. But no I do not care if the speakers are visible I prefer something that sounds good over looks good. So overall I want to have something that can bend the windows of my car if I wanted to but just sound powerful and clean overall and hits the high and low notes and everything inbetween. So I not sure if 4 15" are what I need or if I should go with a mixture of sized sub woofers.

I always use Mdf for material. Like said burch ply is best but cost more. If you go to your sub manufacture website they will have the optimal tuning info for enclosures on the specific sub you have. And to calculate the tuning you can download Torres box tuner on your computer or there's an app called mobile audio app for iPhone and I believe android also. It is accurate I've tested it against other tunning software

Running different sized subs isn't necessary and often, the smaller among them adds so little that they're essentially a waste. Your subs should handle everything from 20-80Hz and then your midwoofers and tweets should take over from there. So unless you plan to build a bandpass box that won't play above, say, 40Hz... you don't need different subs/enclosures.

So If I get three more 15"s and put them in a box should they share ports or have individual flared ports? And keep them all bandpass? And should I go with a 12 rms 4 channel amp or two 1200 rms 2 channel amps?

You can run multiple subs that all share one port or you can do multiple ports. That largely depends on the space you have to work with and the important thing isn't how many ports the box has... it's how much port area the box has. Too little port area will cause noise and too much can cause damage to the subs at high volume.

As for "keeping them all bandpass"... if that's what you want. It's your setup, not mine, and you can do it as simply or as complicated as you like. My advise at this point would be to stick with a simple ported box and do some reading on loudpeaker design before attempting a more complicated build like a bandpass box.

As for subwoofer amps, it's best to go with a monoblock amp that's large enough to power all of your subs. Four channel amps aren't really designed for large subwoofer applications and multiple amps are difficult to gain match when run on multiple sub setups.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.