First car-first time speaker install. Any thoughts on Pioneer TS-A1685R?

Participant count
  • Participant list

Hensel

CT
These speakers are going in a 2000 Jetta. I going to sound deaden the doors aswell. I will put a pair in the front and back powered by a 4x60w RMS Pioneer GM-A6604 amp. The head until will be a Pioneer MVH-X560BT. Do you have any suggestions on a different brand to use? I want to stay away from component because I have no experience.

Do any of you have any thoughts on this set up? Will it be a huge improvement over stock speakers?

Different brands for coaxial speakers I really don't have any suggestions other than looking into hybrid audio's mirus. The best advice I can give you is to do components, they are generally leaps and bounds above coaxial. Also forget the back speakers, disconnect them. A lot of people including myself don't use rear speakers. I too started out at 16 with a set of coaxial in the front and in the back, after switching to components in the front and no rears I haven't looked back. Not running rear speakers will give you a better budget to spend on your front speakers and allow you to get a 2 channel amp which is generally cheaper than 4 channels meaning you can probably get a more powerful 2 channel for the same price you were spending on the 4 channel pioneer. What exactly are you worried about when it comes to componenet speakers? there is leaps and bounds of info when it comes to installing them here on this forum

IMO, it isn't worth it for what aftermarket speakers cost to only give them the 10 watts off a head unit. I think you should find the cheapest 2 channel that will put out at least 40 watts RMS at 4 ohms and use it on your stock speakers. And if that's not enough of an improvement for you (you will be surprised), go with a set of aftermarkets.

Different brands for coaxial speakers I really don't have any suggestions other than looking into hybrid audio's mirus. The best advice I can give you is to do components, they are generally leaps and bounds above coaxial. Also forget the back speakers, disconnect them. A lot of people including myself don't use rear speakers. I too started out at 16 with a set of coaxial in the front and in the back, after switching to components in the front and no rears I haven't looked back. Not running rear speakers will give you a better budget to spend on your front speakers and allow you to get a 2 channel amp which is generally cheaper than 4 channels meaning you can probably get a more powerful 2 channel for the same price you were spending on the 4 channel pioneer. What exactly are you worried about when it comes to componenet speakers? there is leaps and bounds of info when it comes to installing them here on this forum
I had a feeling components would be the best choice. The reason I am hesitant to use them is because I am under the assumption that coaxial speakers give very well rounded sound from a single speaker as opposed to component where I thought I would need around 3 speakers that I would have to wire around the car to produce the all around quality sound that I thought I would find in a 3-way speaker. The other reason I was avoiding components is because of all the complicated terminology that comes along with them and they seem to be much more difficult to wire.

I really appreciate all the help, what brand do you prefer for components and do you feel that the thought of a high quality (compared to stock) component system is unrealistic at around $400?

IMO, it isn't worth it for what aftermarket speakers cost to only give them the 10 watts off a head unit. I think you should find the cheapest 2 channel that will put out at least 40 watts RMS at 4 ohms and use it on your stock speakers. And if that's not enough of an improvement for you (you will be surprised), go with a set of aftermarkets.
I felt the same way, which is why I was planning to buy the 4x90w RMS amp to power the 4 speakers at the max recomended RMS. As to your idea on keeping the stock speakers, I would go aftermarket regardless of the improvement because I want a system that blows away stock.

the cheaper(under 150) pioneers tend to be really harsh on the tweeters and lack a lot of midrange vocals. if your looking for coaxials these are a much better choice for 99$ Incriminator Audio I Series 6.5" Co-Axialhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IaVSNFHfY-U here's a look of how they sound.
From what I am learning on this forum it is making me lean more towards components at this point. But if I decide to go with coaxial after all I will definitely buy these if you honestly feel they will be better than the TS-A1685Rs.EDIT: These are not available on crutchfeild, do you have another way of determining if they will fit my car?

From what I am learning on this forum it is making me lean more towards components at this point. But if I decide to go with coaxial after all I will definitely buy these if you honestly feel they will be better than the TS-A1685Rs.

EDIT: These are not available on crutchfeild, do you have another way of determining if they will fit my car?
if crutchfield says your car speakers are 6 and 1/2 then you just need to look for 6.5 speakers they all include mounting brackets and such, also, crutchfield is the biggest ripoffs online when it comes to internet pricing... If your wanting components, look on soundsolutionsaudio they offer the incriminators in components as well.

you might want a more powerful amp then the pioneer 4 channel. Precision Power PPI BK 800.4 800W RMS, 4-Ch Class A/B Black Ice Car Amp if you can stretch out your budget just a tad, you can have lots of headroom with the power to keep gain settings lower and an active capable amp its a very solid amp. Only thing i like about pioneers are their head units, everything else is bleh.

if crutchfield says your car speakers are 6 and 1/2 then you just need to look for 6.5 speakers they all include mounting brackets and such, also, crutchfield is the biggest ripoffs online when it comes to internet pricing... If your wanting components, look on soundsolutionsaudio they offer the incriminators in components as well.
you might want a more powerful amp then the pioneer 4 channel. Precision Power PPI BK 800.4 800W RMS, 4-Ch Class A/B Black Ice Car Amp if you can stretch out your budget just a tad, you can have lots of headroom with the power to keep gain settings lower and an active capable amp its a very solid amp. Only thing i like about pioneers are their head units, everything else is bleh.
Oh alright, I thought the brackets/wiring harnesses were exclusive to crutchfield but if the site you listed provides them then I will order from them. I have no problem spending more on a decent amp but wont it blow the Incriminators? They are rated at 85w RMS but the amp outputs 130w.

I apologize if the questions I am asking are common sense but I have never done this before and want to understand what I am doing to my car.

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.