New Amp in protect

Participant count
  • Participant list

sciontistbb
10+ year member

Hi guy, I did an install on my friends Pontiac G8 GT. He has 2 Fosgate P3’s that were wired to a 1000W 2 channel Sony amp which finally fried on him. He just bought a brand new Belva BB5000D mono-block with a Belva 1/0g wiring kit with a 150a fuse(thick as 4 gauge). I got everything hooked up correctly and the amp automatically goes into protect mode when we tested it. The protect light has a slow flash to it. I checked my wiring and everything seams to be wired ok. I use my DMM and the battery is resting at 12.5 and 14.6 with car running. Being that this amp is new, we connect it to his Trans Am which has walmart 8 gauge wire and amp works perfectly fine. We then try a Kicker amp in the G8 and we get another protect light while working perfectly in the Trans Am. I pull all the wire I just installed and rewired it with no luck. Both amps go into protect in the G8 while working fine in the Trans Am.

This is what we have:

2008 Pontiac G8 GT

Factory HU

L.O.C.

Belva 1/0 gauge wire kit

Belva BB5000D

2 Fosgate 4ohm DVC P3’s wired in series/parallel (4ohms)

test the subs and make sure they are not blown and causing the amp to go in protect. Also make sure the rca's are not smashed or grounding out.

Where are you getting your remote turn on signal from? If you tapped into something that switches on from a ground vs a power connection....this could be your issue.

I have solid ground to the chassis, area has been surfaced. Remote has been pulled from the cigarette lighter. DMM shows 14.6 with car on and zeros when car is turned off... I tried a different ground location with no luck. Being that the battery is in the trunk, power wire is less than 4ft and less than 2 ft for the ground... all connections have been soldered. My last resort is to rewire this weekend with pieces of kolossus fleks that I have lying around...

test the subs and make sure they are not blown and causing the amp to go in protect. Also make sure the rca's are not smashed or grounding out.
Amp goes into protect with and without rca's. Rca's are new from amp kit

Subs are in working order. This setup works fine in his other car with the cheap walmart 8g wires...

You say that you are using 0 ga for the amp in the G8?

make sure that there are no stray strands of that wire making its way where it should not be.

If the amp work fine in one car and not this one....well it has to be in the wiring somewhere....

You say that you are using 0 ga for the amp in the G8?
Yes, We are using 0 gauge wire, Belva is not true 0 ga. I have it soldered in 4 ga copper lugs. All strands are secured in the amps terminal. No strays hanging out.

Would there be any damage if I were to connect the amps ground directly to the negative on the battery.

Yes, We are using 0 gauge wire, Belva is not true 0 ga. I have it soldered in 4 ga copper lugs. All strands are secured in the amps terminal. No strays hanging out.Would there be any damage if I were to connect the amps ground directly to the negative on the battery.
No....you can connect it to the battery ground.

Try bypassing the remote turn on wire. Jump a wire from the + terminal and see if she powers up fine.

So, my friend takes his car to a local car audio shop today. They also tried multiple ground locations and even used new wires... they also had no luck in making this amp work... Frustrated, my friend stops by the house... with the help of you guys I already know what to do... I connect the ground directly to the battery (batt is in trunk) and low an behold... no protect light, and finally got this thing working...

I appreciate all ya'lls help.

Thanks....

Activity
No one is currently typing a reply...
Old Thread: Please note, there have been no replies in this thread for over 3 years!
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.